Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcast

Clothes for flats fishing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Colombia makes some nice shirts & pants with sun screen protection built in. Also bug protection but it washes out after 25 washing. What ever you decide go with the lighter colors. A lot of fish on the flats have some great eye site & will be able to see you before you see them. I'd go with the lighter Blues in color. The blend in with the sky.

Colombia makes some nice shirts & pants with sun screen protection built in. Also bug protection but it washes out after 25 washing. What ever you decide go with the lighter colors. A lot of fish on the flats have some great eye site & will be able to see you before you see them. I'd go with the lighter Blues in color. The blend in with the sky.

good advice here, also get some good shades with side blockers, I fished down in mexico last year, I had a patagonia wide brimmed hat which helped cut down on the sun in my face, wading boots also,

I fish in SW florida during winter and spring, The hat with wide brim is a must,white ir light blue or yellow long sleeve shirts in a non-cotton fabric,and long nylon pants with cut off zippers if you prefer. I also would get sun gloves,since you're not going to be use to the strong sun. Plenty of 50 spf factor sun block.

I use Ex-officio shirts or under armour shirts. They are expensive,but go on line for some deals. I fish several times a week so I spend to be comfortable. Have fun, JP

Cabela's Signature Series Angler Long Sleeve Shirts($20-$30) and Cabela's 2-in-1 pants($30), Cabela'sGuidewear Flats Cap($20) or Columbia Wrangle Mountain Fishing Hat ($15)or any baseball cap with an Angler Buff ($23)

Reel Legends and Bimini Bay both have shirts along same lines as Columbia ,lot of pockets, quick dry and good SPF at Better price. Columbia also has a hat with flap that covers top of ears, and back of neck which is removeable, the Bill is also larger , I prefer hat with that has a Black bottom under bill to cut reflections down. (Works for Golf also)as for Bugs, Bounce sheets work well for me ,take few sheets wipe on back & top ears, neck , cheeks, wipe over shirt sleves. front of shirt and then put one or two in pocket partially hanging out , also heard that listerine sprayed around on you wards of flying pest. Never tried it . Cheap Cigar smoke keeps critters away, Do NOT wash Fishing shirt for couple trips, just stand in corner and no bugs or any thing else come near you.