Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rubone47

ROD HOLDERS FOR HOBIE OUTBACK (AND MAYBE OTHER KAYAKS)

18 posts in this topic

THIS ROD HOLDER EXTENDED WAS MADE FOR UNDER 5 BUCKS I STARTED WITH 1 1/4 PVC PIPE THEN INCREASE IT TO 1 1/2 TO A 22 1/2 DEGREE ELBOW THEN A PIECE OF 1 1/2 PIPE WHATEVER LENGTH YOU WANT TO MAKE IT.I PUT SOME RUBBER BANDS AROUND THE BOTTOM OF THE 1 1/4 PIPE SO IT WILL STAY IN PLACE WHEN IM TROLLING OR DRIFTING BUT CAN BE ROTATED FOR THE DESIRED ANGLE YOU MIGHT WANTDSC04406.JPGDSC04406.JPGrodholder 1.JPGDSC04405.JPG

Don't for get to drill a hole in the end and slide some bungee into it. Then a carbiner to the other end to hook to your rod, rod leash in place...may even want to run the rod leash to the deck as the rod holder is "not attached" to the yak

rodholder 1.JPGlook at the pic i put a pad eye to clip my leashes too   by the way i removed the pad covers for the in the deck rod holders   i think there use less

I did almost the same thing with a eye hook. By swapping out any machine threaded fastener a no drill lash point can be added.0104121857.jpg

.I PUT SOME RUBBER BANDS AROUND THE BOTTOM OF THE 1 1/4 PIPE SO IT WILL STAY IN PLACE WHEN IM TROLLING OR DRIFTING BUT CAN BE ROTATED FOR THE DESIRED ANGLE YOU MIGHT WANT

When the rubber band wears out use a piece of bicycle inner tube - I found it lasts much longer

I have a load of old bike stuff in my shop, you need an old tube let me know. Like the holders, I'll be making some for my outbacks. You can paint them with fusion paint if you wanted as well or use plastic primer and reg spray paint.

Thanks Eddy for the offer Ill keep in mind  I should be able to rustler some up .  How do you make your rod holders  tomm ill be posting a pic with my gopro mount on the rod holder

Real nice Mullet  looks like you could shoot off a couple of mortars too if you had too lol . Did you flare the ends of the pipe yourself  and if you did how?

Yes I did flare the pipes myself. You need a wine bottle and a heat gun. I heated the PVC until it was pliable, pressed the bottle in until the flare seemed sufficient. The dipped it in a 5 gallon bucket of water to set the shape.

One thing to note, when you are flaring the pipe in this fashion, don't try to over do the flare. The pipe will tear and fracture on the end. You also may have to do a little finish sanding to remove any rough edges.