Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish1928thing

shad fishing lures

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What are some lures that can be used to catch American and Hickory shad other than expensive shad darts- at a dollar a piece and so easy to get snagged, it can get pricey?

I plan on going out to try to fish for them this spring, but do not want to spend too much money.

Will shortened sabiki rigs work?

what color lures are more effective?

I plan on bank fishing along a river

If you have patience you an buy unpainted darts and do it yourself if you plan to lose them anyway doesn't matter if you do an awesome job or not. Flutter spoons I think they call the ones JZ was talking about, Not 100% sure tho.

No, they are called willow leaf's, because they resemble a willow leaf.smile.gif They are about a inch long with a J hook soldered to the leaf. Many use them locally in the rivers for Shad.

willow leaf.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy z View Post

No, they are called willow leaf's, because they resemble a willow leaf.smile.gif They are about a inch long with a J hook soldered to the leaf. Many use them locally in the rivers for Shad.

willow leaf.jpg

Different areas different names Shad spoon is another. bucktooth.gif  Which is what I had meant to say but because of the extended hours of family gathering this year I must have been a bit delirious . beers.gif OK I take that back I just searched and my questionable memory was right. Shad spoon,  Shad Flutter spoon or your version are all correct.

I've seen shad darts in packs of three for something like 1.50 - go to Dick's Sporting goods...they have them pretty cheap if I recall.

American and hickory shad will generally hit the same type of lures, although I find that you can sometimes fish for hickories with a wider variety of lures...although they mostly key in on small stuff that american shad will hit, they sometimes will key in on bigger stuff as well. For example, from time to time, it will be 'lights out' hickory shad fishing while using the same small yozuri plugs I use for false albacore, etc. Hicks will also hit a wider variety of small metals...and they don't have to be brightly colored...just shiny

Think of it this way - most people fish for american shad when they're up on their spawning runs...they're generally in the same mode as a salmon (i.e. they're not feeding and will only hit a lure out of reflex or anger)....on the other hand, most people fish for hickory shad in areas (estuaries) where they are actively feeding and will often hit everything in site

Shad flies are about as easy as they come to tie, and the material is cheap. The dumber and cheaper they look, the better they work. I always have a shad fly as a dropper to my dart, no reason a weight cant work instead of a dart. In fact, with a weight at the terminal and two shad darts off dropper loops a foot or so apart, I bet you would not get hardly any snags...., come to think of it, might be trying this myself!

hickory shad seem to like the willow leaf,  and smash the perch lookin little cleos i use for trout

the liitle cleo thing was an accidental thing,  no willow leafs with me that day 

one of the things i like about fishing,  kinda' like an ongoing science experiment,  amazing the things i've learned over the yearscwm40.gif 

Flutter spoons work great. Also small deadly dicks and any other small spoon.

Though they will hit bigger lures, as mentioned, I've had best luck on silver lures that are about an inch or smaller.

Little cleos, sidewinders and a lot of small stuff made for icefishing work. I tie these on behind a 3/4 oz inline weight.

Small bucktails will also work.

Crappie jigs will work I usually use the chartruese colored ones on the Rappahanock river in the spring. They also will hit gold or silver colored small spoons like Jimmy mentioned. LOADS of fun on ultralight tackle for sure as a matter of fact, they got the nickname poor man's Tarpon LOL! I can't wait till spring gobbling Turkeys and Shad! Good luck, MAX

Forgot to mention that the curly tails do seem to work better like Johnny mentioned. They are fairly inexpensive as well!