Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Biscuit

Penn Fathom

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

I'll post this here because it seems to be the right place to do so. I'm looking to replace my old Penn 113 Senator with a more modern reel. I'll mostly be cod and striper fishing with it with bait and jigs from party and charter boats. I really like the look and reviews the Penn Fathom has been getting. Has anyone here bitten the bullet and purchased one? What are your thoughts and or criticisms of this reel and what other reels should I be looking at?

I don't have one but a friend does. Looks and feels like a well built reel. If you're looking at level winds the Fathom or the Saltist would be my two choices. Either way, welcome to the 21st century. You can't go wrong with either.

I wouldn't worry about going with the higher speed gears in these reels. With a power handles they come with and the tightness of the gearing you don't lose much in the way of cranking power and there is a lot less turning to get sinkers back to the surface to rebait. I've been using 6-1 ratio reels for tilefish and cod and had no problems. My new favorite tog reel is the Penn TRQ12 and I have been using the Torque star drags for cod and deep drop since they came out.

I wouldn't worry about going with the higher speed gears in these reels. With a power handles they come with and the tightness of the gearing you don't lose much in the way of cranking power and there is a lot less turning to get sinkers back to the surface to rebait. I've been using 6-1 ratio reels for tilefish and cod and had no problems. My new favorite tog reel is the Penn TRQ12 and I have been using the Torque star drags for cod and deep drop since they came out.

Wow, 6-1 ratio for tilefishing? :shock:

I'm biting the bullet and getting FTH25. These seem to be sweet reels.

Why do you want a reel that big? The 15 is all you will ever need for anything unless you're fishing 400'deep.

Why do you want a reel that big? The 15 is all you will ever need for anything unless you're fishing 400'deep.

What about 200'? ..I don't think the 15 has enough capacity with 280/17 to get you there...My understanding that 200' is common in off shore CBASS fishing...