Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperKilla

Advantage of Homemade Tapered Leader vs. Manufactured.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Killa,

There are many opinions re leaders.

Some like factory tapered. Some furled. Some straight 25-30-# mono.

I like hand-made tapered leaders best of all. Factory leaders are made with softer material than tippet that you will buy on spools - like RIO fluro because it has to be soft to be able to draw it out and taper it. For #9 line I use 4-5' of 52# RIO fluro for the butt section - and for a #10 line I use 60# butt.

Welcome and happy holidays,

Regards,

Herb

Gabe,

I like hand made tapered leaders for all my rods - #6 and up.

The factory tapered leaders are too soft as well as too light in weight. But- what you haev sounds right for the #8. But, again, I would make my own with stiffer and heavier material.

Herb

Most, me included make our own, saving $$$. But I think you'll find better turn over resulting in a longer casts with factory tapered floro which I like for Albies and BoneFish.

The advantage of DIY is that you get to build a leader to your exact specifications. The advantage of store-bought is that you buy one item and you're done.

When it comes to stripers, I choose neither. A straight shot of 20, 25, or 30 does the job nicely. :-)

You see, that's my problem, I dont know what I need because I'm merely 15 (not as stubborn as you think :). I dont know what my specifications are. How do I go about tying the leaders. Do I use flurocarbon for every piece that is tied? Lol, I'm very new to this, so far all I got down is building fly rods, tying flys, and casting well. I have a lot to learn, and hoping you gentleman can give me the extra knowledge to put me over the edge and figure out how to catch a darn fish with these rods!!!

Thank You!

Gabe

Gabe-----For 15, seems that have a good understanding of the sport. Don't worry about fancy leaders right now, more important that you catch a few first. When I started I just stripped some line off one of my conventionals, the Bass didn't know or care. Try 4-6 ft of reg mono like Ande or BigGame (stiff is good for tippet). Stick with a fly like a 2/0 Clouser/Deceiver/Half & Half. Fish it deep and slow, you'll catch. Remember, you don't need fancy you need functional gear that you can afford. I caught two IGFA line class records using straight gage home made tippets. Above all have fun, if you think I can answer a question drop me a PM. All the best for the holidays, Rick

Thanks Rick, I appreciate it a lot. Luckily, I have a source for a special leader that is not sold anymore. It is the stiffest, best leader available in my opinion. I also got it in fluorocarbon. The stuff is amazing. So abrasion resistant, and so stiff that if you bend it one way it will stay like that, but if you want it to go back to straight, all you have to do is pull it and run your finger along it as you pull. Send me your adress in a pm, and I'll send you some in exchange for some knowledge. :) We use it on the party boat I help out on for bottom fishing rigs. Let me know what gauge you need as far as 0.xx mm. I think Im going to use a length of that in flouro. You too HL. The flouro costs me, and I have to wait to get it, but the other stuff I have tons of.

Gabe

Anyone who has fish any amount of time has encountered leader-shy fish. Most of the time it doesn't matter much. But I've had Floro work magic for me enough times that I try to always use it now. Cabela's has 20lb Seagar in 50yd spools for 17.95, that's what I'm using.

Overly stiff will hinder your cast. I'm no pro just a chucker like most. See it you can get anything by Lefty on the subject, he's the master.

Striper,

A lot of wisdom and variety in these posts. As you have already figured, there are many different options available.

If you are interested in tying your own, I offer this starting point. The rule of thirds. 1/3 Butt section, 1/3 Taper section, 1/3 Tippet.

These are based upon a desired length of leader.Below is an example of line diameters I sometimes use when tying my own leaders for 7 & 8 weight lines. (FWIW- The 1/3 rule can be applied to all weights, not only 7 & 8. The title of the slide may be misleading)

In keeping with the rule of thirds - each section is approximately 1/3 of the entire length of my leader. The exception being the tippet, which may be any length you like. This will likely vary with the size and weight of the fly you are using. For example, a heavier fly may require a shorter tippet than a lighter one. This ensures the nice smooth "unrolling" of the line as the loop unfurls rather than it collapsing upon itself.

You may notice that the "Taper Section" in my diagram consists of two different line diameters. This does not always need to be the case. You can easily do with just one. Again, there are many ways to do this and what I've shown is a pattern I loosely follow. Sometimes. Why sometimes? Because other times I may fish as in The Fishermans post above...

As far as I care to know, these line diameters I have listed below are approximate and are for monofilament lines. The slide shown above is for my leader design of 20lb/18lb/16lb/12lb test mono.

Approximate Line Diameters:

1 pound test.......(0.005" Dia.) (0.127mm Dia.)

2 pound test.......(0.006" Dia.) (0.1524mm Dia.)

4 pound test.......(0.008" Dia.) (0.2032mm Dia.)

6 pound test.......(0.009" Dia.) (0.2286mm Dia.)

8 pound test.......(0.011"Dia.) (0.2794mm Dia.)

12 pound test......(0.014" Dia.) (0.3556mm Dia.)

16 pound test......(0.016" Dia.) (0.4064mm Dia.)

18 pound test......(0.017" Dia.) (0.4318mm Dia.)

50 pound test......(0.030" Dia.) (0.762mm Dia.)

Good luck.

Killa,

I prefer a longer butt to turn over large flys - or in the wind.

So my formula is 4-5' butt - reduced in 1' lengths to the tippet. I might have as many as 5 reductions.

I usually do not use loop to loop for my tippet. I usually use a double surgeons knot for my tippet and change it when too short.

Herb

The only advantage to a factory tapered line I can think of is to minimize knots when fishing long leaders in areas with fine grass. The knots will pick up fine grass and disturb what they don't pick up.