Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joed5

Kevlar Handle Tubing

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Wanted some thoughts on using the kevlar tubing instead of the cork tape for the hanlde section. I do not make my own rods, having a 10 foot Lami built for plugging. Thanks

I build fly rods only with cork and burl-wood grips - but I have a friend that does some crazy work with carbon-fiber grips for me. He has said that working with kevlar is VERY difficult. And he has not developed a system to produce one in kevar yet that is up to his quality level with CF - he may give it up

Hope that helps a little. I think the weight saving may be minimal since the weight is in the epoxy - and if you use too heavy foam.

Herb

Oh - I bet that you are talking about a surf rod. be aware of the carbon fiber (as well as kevlar) that it is pretty unyielding. On my fly rods they do not bend into the grip like cork might - or cork tape. I would think that you want a surf rod to flex into the grip. Also - they are very hard and not at all comfortable to hold. They were very slippery when wet with saltwater - not so much with fresh from the tap. I roughened them up with 400 grip and they are more slippers when dry - but "grippy" when wet.

Theoretically - they transmit vibrations to the hand better - and on a fly rod, you can come to the necessary "sudden-stop" better. Maybe so but they are not friendly on the hands.

I am toying with the idea of stripping them off and refit with cork for a 'softer" feel.

Herb

Ditto on the Carbon Fiber. It is great for light rods but definitely out of the equation when using surf rods.

You get your 'feel' by watching the rod tip. I use coasters a lot. Just a cord wrap for a handle with them holding the reel; sans a reel seat. C2