Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blind squirl

first time building

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

do a search on new guide concept, read up on that. figure out what reel you will be using and where you want your reel. are you using braid or mono? get a general understanding of the points of the guide concept. then assk some questions. not trying to be a d..k but if you want to know why youre doing what your doing this is then best way. as soon as you have decided what guides you will be using get them and tape them on and test the rod out, static deflection test and test casting. Keep in mind you need to place then guides so that they will support protect the rod wen you have a fish on. That is a very popular blank and you could have someone give you their guide placement but you wouldnt learn anything. get the guides, build the handle then play around with it and ask guestions as you go.

Anytime you have a question do a search on here...9/10 times you'll find your answer. Also, be prepared to learn some things the hard way. Like I did today with gunmetal grey underwraps and not enough coats of CP :(

I m going to build a gsb120il.its my first time building a rod and was looking for some helpful tips as i want to do it right the first time

There is no such thing as getting it right the first time. Building your own rods is a process. The more you learn, the less satisfied you are with your prior builds....so you tear it down and build another better one. By about the third time you'll get it right for that blank.

buy dale clemens advanced rod building book. its got a lotta good stuff and tips/tricks. i'm on my 5th rod and still use it as a refrence

buy dale clemens advanced rod building book. its got a lotta good stuff and tips/tricks. i'm on my 5th rod and still use it as a refrence

Dales book is excellent but outdated as far as "the complete turnaround in the way modern rod builders thought process has changed regarding their approach to guide layouts " with many going the small guide route due to the latest research conducted for the most part by Fuji and the big acceptance of braided lines ......It's an excellent reference book nonetheless, but if you want the most current trends etc... your best bet is this forum and the archives.

If you are a traditionalist and want to learn every aspect of building his book is highly recommended, the setups and thought process regarding guides and placement work as well today as they did a few decades ago, ala COF and reels along the lines of the beloved Emblem pro, although many builders build what their customers desire, that is if they want to put food on the table.