Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Is Tackle Overrated?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Awhile back I was slinging an 11' mustard 1 pc fiberglass rod paired to a black gold 706 z.. Then after that I used a 9' ugly stick paired to a refurbish Penn 710 greenie. Both setups maybe totaled a hair over 100 bucks, but today guys have setups worth well over a GRAND easily. Bags alone today are costing 300 plus. Is it worth it? I know guys that fish with 100 dollars setups that routinely out fish guys like me with custom rods and a stella or vs. I think people put too much emphasis on tackle and not enough on technique. One the best fisherman on this site (WINCH) fishes in jean shorts, muscle shirt and the same pacific trail back pack that he used in grammar school...no joke. Ask him :p

You can go from point A to point B in a cj or a range Rover . Both are vehicles but driver is still a major factor and preference is a major factor.

No matter what gear a guy is using if the mans got skills then the mans got skills and vice versa.

I know guys that can outrun Feraris with Chevy Cavaliers, does that make a Cavalier a better car? Many buy for comfort, prestige, or just cuz they can. Everyone decides their own gear niche factoring price and comfort in their purchasing. The expectation of catching more fish is seldom cited as a reason to upgrade one's gear. BTW won't a coke can and some string catch the same fish as your $100 set ups.

I can walk 2 miles in loafers. I can walk the same 2 miles in walking shoes. Both get the job done. But, if I walk the 2 miles daily, it won't be long before I get the walking shoes. Nothing wrong with less expensive equipment, but if I'm using it every day, I'll need gear which will hold up to my way of fishing. I've fished with people next to me, daily, who go thru the same equipment I'm using in 1/3 the time. They're just harder on the equipment. Some of these people are hard on equipment and forgetful. Losing expensive equipment makes for a happy tackle shop owner.

Average cost of my currently used rods is about $100. Reels about $120.

Is tackle over rated? I think in some ways it is. There are more fishermen fishing with equipment that is not top the line than are fishing with top quality equipment. Knowledge and effort are what seperates us. Those that put the time and effort in to know the areas that they fish will land more fish.I'm at the point were I enjoy fishing with better quality equipment. I like the new lighter rods they let me fish longer without taking a break. Reels that can be rinsed with water to remove sand and salt make fishing easier for me. It's about what gives you the most enjoyment out of your time on the water. I like quality equipment, but that doesn't mean I'm a great fisherman because of my equipment. There are plenty of fishermen out with lesser equipment than I that will out fish me evereyday of the week.  

My feeling is that there is enough mediocrity in the world already, that I see no reason to let it creep into the one thing I do that brings me the most enjoyment. You gotta draw the line somewhere. Fishing the best tackle I can afford brings me more pleasure than using cheap stuff and being proud for saving a few hundred dollars. To each their own.

Gear is an addiction caused by lack of time fishing. If I can't go fishing I can play with and dream about new equipment. A 12 step program is helpful but more fishing time is better.

M

The simple answer is:

No.

Gotta cover all bases.

Buying one good reel is better than buying 10. Throwing a 11' fiberglass for perch is weird. Throwing 9' mojo in ripping current is weird. Throwing topwater / midwater when all they wanted was a 2oz jighead and a sluggo at the bottom. Throwing a 007 when you need an a27 or a47 etc....

You get the idea. I had a CTS made cause it outcasts my 9' mojo and glass 1083,...bet I could've gotten in to better fish this year when the bite was uber hot in SJ instead of multiple 20lb'ers.

:(

Good thing I now have a 10'6 legend and a cts for the distance that I needed in the later half of fall... which I didnt have before...

I was one of those stubborn people that always believed the fish are at your feet....

:)

Is tackle over rated..... Some is, some isn't. But that is a whole other story, and don't want to start a this verses that.

I think the real question is "does better tackle instantly make you a better fisherman?" If I go out and buy a $600 custom rod and pair it with $1000 reel spooled up with $60 braid and $10 of fluorocarbon tie on a $30 custom plug am I a better fisherman than the guy with a used combo picked up at a garage sale for $50.

Tackle does not make the fisherman!

It would make sense to buy the best you could ever afford right from the start. Problem is, when you start, you have no idea how or where you will fish, or what your likes and dislikes will be in a few years. As our addiction changes, we acquire more and more specialized equipment. Years ago I spent $400 on a custom Ron Arra conventional rod. It never comes up out of the basement because it is too pretty to smash around on the rocks(which is where you will usually find me). I went through several nice, new Abus before I realized that levelwind worms and sand laced waves crashing up over the rocks don't mix. I have many hundred dollars of gear, but My most used rods cost me $40 and $75 each. My conventional gear is all chosen to be rugged and trustworthy..

Last year, I finally broke down and bought some used(but very nice) spinning gear. I know exactly where I will use it and what plugs I will throw with it. I didn't have to go through the experience part. ;)

To me, higher end tackle is for when you know you're in it for the long haul and you want an investment that's going to last a long time and not require a lot of trips to the shop...for people who make it about 'bling', then yes, it is overrated...I'm so 'the other way' that although I finally made the plunge and bought a VS150, I made sure it was black just to 'understate' a bit and not draw attention

It's true that tackle does not make a "fisherman". I recall many a**holes that were casting their shiny VS and ZB reels over my line constantly this past fall when out on the bars making me walk away in disgust.

However it takes a true "fisherman" to appreciate good tackle and use it to it's fullest. Matter of fact, rumor has it that this old, crabby SOB might have a VS in his future. ;) Won't have to worry about getting smacked with waves any more. :D