Squirrels in the Trash - Help!

Rate this topic

laxdad

I am not sure how many of you all have problems with squirrels getting to your trash. I live in the Maryland area and those rascals are not shy to say the least. We thought we had bought decent trash cans (thicker walled / w lids) but they have progressively managed to chew a hole in both freaking cans. Plus, we have a smaller trash can in the garage that when the garage door is open, they help themselves to that too. Even when the kids are in and out of the garage. :mad:

Trapping doesn’t work – too many.

Of course my son wants to set up a “squirrel blind” so he and his buddies can sit there w/ their air soft guns….sound slike fun too!

Any other creative ideas?

There is recently a new product out that has been heavily touted on radio commercials (almost to the point of it being annoying) for trash bags that are treated with mint to keep rodents away:

Whether they really work or it is just a gimmick, I can't say................

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Trapping the varmints doesn't work very well. Most of the time they escape or don't bother with the trap at all.

Shooting them is lots of fun, but I live on a farm where there's no chance of neighbors complaining or any damage being done to property.

Here's what I'd do:

Fill a container with about 12" of water. It can be a trashcan, drywall bucket, etc.

Then drop a handful or two of sunflower seeds into the water and place the container near the tree or area where they live.

They will not be able to see the water because the sunflower seeds are floating on top.

They will jump in to grab the seeds and drown.

Squirrels can climb trees all day, but they can't swim.

I have caught as many as 6 squirrels in one day using this method. It's not unusual to get 2 or 3 at the same time.

Good Luck.

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

Trapping the varmints doesn't work very well. Most of the time they escape or don't bother with the trap at all.

Shooting them is lots of fun, but I live on a farm where there's no chance of neighbors complaining or any damage being done to property.

Here's what I'd do:

Fill a container with about 12" of water. It can be a trashcan, drywall bucket, etc.

Then drop a handful or two of sunflower seeds into the water and place the container near the tree or area where they live.

They will not be able to see the water because the sunflower seeds are floating on top.

They will jump in to grab the seeds and drown.

Squirrels can climb trees all day, but they can't swim.

I have caught as many as 6 squirrels in one day using this method. It's not unusual to get 2 or 3 at the same time.

Good Luck.

Man that is cruel. I'm not a PETA member but getting an aluminum trash can helps saves lives. I worked for me.

Squirrel lives, I think he means. We trapped them at a place I used to work. We tagged them with a spot of spray paint and let them go up to 30 miles away. They almost always came back. The bucket sounds good. They are eating all my bird food.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Ce n'est pas le mur derrière lequel il se passe quelque chose, mais bien la cuisinière dans laquelle on a brûlé quelque chose

Squirrel lives, I think he means. We trapped them at a place I used to work. We tagged them with a spot of spray paint and let them go up to 30 miles away. They almost always came back. The bucket sounds good. They are eating all my bird food.

I'm not an animal expert, but I'd bet the farm squirrels couldn't travel 30 miles back to your house. I don't think they could travel 1 mile, in fact I don't think a squirrel could travel 1/2 a mile back to wherever they were living.

I've observed tree rats for many years and it's my learned opinion that they rarely travel more than 200 yards from where they live.

Salmon-yes.....pigeons-yes.....monarch butterflies-yes.......squirrels-no

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....