Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Cloudy, Damp Christmas Friday...

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Showers earlier have stopped, supposed to clear and get chilly. Mostly sunny and cold for the holiday weekend, with a chance of showers Monday. Some say a storm next week, others say sun..........

So, whatchya making?

Tonight is take-out Chinese.

Tomorrow is rib roast with roasted onions and mushrooms, Cabernet reduction, green salad, and potatoes au gratin.

Christmas we are going to my sister's. She said she is making either stuffed shells or lasagna, meatballs and sausage, Caesar salad or antipasto, garlic bread. I am making stuffed artichoke bottoms to bring along.

Monday will be boneless roast duck with Cabernet sauce, egg noodles, and a green salad. Might get some shrimp for cocktail.

Rest of the week.....probably fajitas with the left over rib roast one night, maybe "shake and bake style" pork chops another night, and the third night thinking perhaps buffalo wings or cornish game hens.

What are YOU making?

Whatever it is, have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

making stock for my zuppa di pesce that will be done tomorrow.

two cans peeled tomato, 2 leeks, 2 onions, thyme, red wine, saffron 8 cloves garlic (the garlic in miami is superb) some agua

Lemon essence, bay leaves....

cuban music while cucinar

manana,

we get these local shrimp, not prawns, but almost as big. A dozen of those

a dozen mussels, three fresh loligo squids - cleaned and sliced, 1 pint of scallops, 1 fillet mutton snapper and/or swordfish steak.

The snapper fillet is good, not as good as black seabass, but scaled with the skin on, makes good brodo...

When it all looks good - start adding fregula.

I like to under-cook fregula on the side and let the broth finish it.

Merry Christmas

Last night cooked for son's and wife's birthdays. Rottiserie chickens on the drum. Rub of garlic, tarragone, lemon rind. Brushed a little honey on it 20 minutes before done. Tasted great but one of the vents on the drum was rusted tight so couldn't get it above 300F so skin not crispy enough. Tomorrow is cooking for some family, apps of smoked salmon, prok and chicken liver terrine and some antipasti, gnocchi with ragu bolgnese, pork involtini-pancetta and cornichon inside, white wine sage sauce, salad and maybe a side of rapini. Sunday it's a rib roast and popovers, not sure what else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed422 View Post

My plan is to be the only jew on christmas. Which translates into chinese food and movies.

Fa ra ra ra raaa, ra raaa ra raaaahhh.

Doing a prime rib to take to MIL tomorrow night.  I made that beet onion and horseradish relish, very good stuff.

Sunday got changed completely yesterday.  I was going to do a leg o lamb or maybe a pork roast when the Fed Ex guy knocks.

Sis in Law takes pity on the poor refugee country boy, she sent me a half size country ham (shank end) from Loveless!  My first thought was to lock the family out of the house, make a plate of biscuits, and just eat the whole thing, but that wouldn't work.

So I went back to "standard" turkey and trimmings dinner.

I have never been able to goad myself into buying one of those 60 dollar turkeys (hand fed only cookies and cake in the dark by peruvian nuns, bla bla bla), so I thought this might be the time to try it.  If it doesn't blow me away, I might just swear  off turkey for good.  A maple syrup brine, sausage apple cornbread stuffing.

Got some smoked salmon, bagels, red onion etc.  Got some country ham and I make the best biscuits in NH ( Ibet I am the only guy in NH eating real country ham on Xmas day), waffles.  We're ready to go.

Tonight some chicken burritos w guac and roasted chipotle salsa.

Tomorrow night they want cheese fondue so I'll oblige. Got a ton of beef stock so I want to make some onion soup to go w fondue and a salad.

Sunday I have a nice prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, and all the rest planned. Last years YP wasn't too great.......this time I'll use an equal VOLUME of eggs, milk, and sifted flour. Let the batter sit at room temp 2-3 hours before cooking.

This recipe came out great 2 years ago. I doubled it for a large roasting pan.

4 large, fresh eggs, measured in a jug

Equal quantity of milk to eggs

Equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to eggs

Pinch of salt

2 tbsp lard, beef dripping or vegetable oil

Preparation:

Serves 6

Heat the oven to the highest temperature possible, however, do not exceed 450F/230C or the fat may burn.

Pour the eggs and milk into a large mixing bowl and add the pinch of salt. Whisk thoroughly with an electric hand beater or hand whisk. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.

Gradually sieve the same volume of flour (as the eggs) into the milk and egg mixture, again using an electric hand beater or hand-whisk to create a lump free batter resembling thick cream, if there are any lumps pass the batter through a fine sieve.

Leave the batter to rest in the kitchen for a minimum of 30 minutes, longer if possible - up to several hours.

Place a pea-sized piece of lard, dripping or ½tsp vegetable oil into your chosen Yorkshire pudding tin, or a 4 x 2"/5cm hole tin or 12-hole muffin tin and heat in the oven until the fat is smoking. Give the batter another good whisk adding 2 tbsps of cold water and fill a third of each section of the tin with batter and return quickly to the oven.

Leave to cook until golden brown approx 20 minutes. Repeat the last step again until all the batter is used up.

Grilled hamburgers tinight,

Grilled beef tenderloin tomorrow with peas and pearl onions, smashed potatoes / gravy, steamed veggies, homemade bread

Sunday - Bacon wrapped scallops, smoked salmon app, baked brie in puff pastry.

Flatbread pizzas and craft beer at a neighborhood place tonight.

Dinner at my mom's tomorrow night - filet mignon, presents, and lots of good-natured insults.

Putting a brisket on the smoker tomorrow night, to be ready by about 3 pm on Sunday. Parents and other loonies are coming over for Christmas dinner; doing this will give me an excuse to hang in the back yard and drink beer. :th:

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Thanks Rav.

Talk to me about lard meat bread.

Attempted last year, was good, but the crust came out like a hard biscuit. :squid:

It's not my forte.