Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gnelson651

Anyone over rig their ride?

8 posts in this topic

I often wonder if those that trick out their kayak realize later that perhaps too many toys is too much?

I just completed tricking my kayak and after putting on a Scotty triple mount, I'm not sure if it will work as I thought. The triple rod holder is in the front where I mount the fish finder. I imagined that by using the triple mount with the fishfinder in the middle and a rod holder on each side that trolling would be easier. Using the flush rod mounts behind the rear side by the seat makes it hard to see if there is a fish on. I can't see the rod bend and turning around to look behind is a pain.

But after attaching the triple mount and looking at it, seems like overkill. I haven't had a chance to try it on the water so the jury is still out on whether it will meet my needs.

Anyone else experience a similar situation?

My first yak had 3 times the stuff I needed.

My current ride ( Hobie Adventure) has 1 rod holder, a fishfinder, a box in back with plugs, bait and other junk, and a box in the center compartment with terminal tackle.

I also only fish with only one rod at a time. I saw a guy 2 weeks ago who had 6 rods on his yak. For me thats 5 too many. :)

I carry four rods with me in the yak. I rig them with different configurations for the type of fish and conditions at the time. However, I will only fish with one to two rods since in Nevada the rule is "one rod one angler" unless you have a two rod stamp (which I have). If I'm fishing with two rods then one is rigged with bait fished on the bottom and the other with a crankbait, bucktail jig or some other action lure. I hate "bait and wait" so I like to fan cast with something.

But I do find that if the striper are light biters, I have to hold the baited rod to feel any bites. If I don't I miss too many fish hookups.

If you really want to see something, look at a spider rig used for crappie. There is usually 6-10 rods fanned on the stern of a boat and trolled.

SpiderRigging052908_002.jpg

Was going too till I found the might mounts and the gear trac .............. now I can change configurations at a moments notice ............ up to 6 rod holders for trolling (using dipsy divers and planers) , stabilizers for standing and flats fishing, cameras at different locations etc etc etc .............

This was my first year with the kayak, carried two rods, one conventional I used for fluking and one spinner which I can't remember ever using. I will continue to bring it, out of the way and insurance in case of have a problem with the conventional.

I tend to be a minimalist normally but with the new Hobie I've been adding a lot of stuff. I have added a GPS and mount, Fish finder, camera holder and large crate with rod holders. I tend to carry more stuff on this one. The crate carries 5 lure boxes an anchor and other little accessories. I like to carry a small cooler with drinks and food too. I carry 4 rods so swapping fishing style of lures is easy.