Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth Cliff

Help Wanted

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So you want a job? So we place adds for extra help.It seems everyone who calls is the hardworking balls to the wall kinda guy/gal.They say "You won't find anyone better".

I am hardworking,responsible and one of my better qualities is...punctuality they let roll off the ol' tongue.

Also said is I have my own transportation and I either have a child on the way or I have a family.

The words I am motivated and I am a self starter with no need to be told what to do is part of the employment pitch.

They say freely and confidently that they know the trade and they have done this,this way and that,that way.

But about a week into the new hire phase(if it even takes that long)

1.)They are late (repeatedly)..........Punctuality ?

2.)Work very slow.................................Hard Worker??

3.) Unmotivated...................................Motivated?

4.)Catch rides from other employees responsible enough to have a vehicle........Own Transportation?

5.)Have to be directed about what to do...........Self Starter?

6.) Asking other employees rookie questions about techniques that an experienced worker would know................Experienced?

Why not be honest and say:

I am an unmotivated worker who will be late.I need a ride pretty often and I will tell you I know what I am doing when I really don't,and you will probably find it safe to say that I need to be pointed in the direction you want me to go.And chances are when you do point me in the direction most beneficial to you I will be fairly slow in doing so.And you might get more work out of a Wal-Mart door greeter than myself.

So when can I start?

I am not knocking the mentality of a door greeter because at least they are employed and they can live up to the expectations of the job.

Sounds like your having a hard time screening people,I know that most employers have caliber tests and a battery psych evaluation questions.

You'd figure in today's over flooded market employers could hone in and find exactly find what there looking for & slightly under pay them because everyone is looking for work.

Good luck with your search.

You need to adjust your expectations for 'extra help' don't even learn their names until they prove to be employable. There are a lot of guys who think they want to work, but after a few days they are longing for the couch.

:v:

I gave up in finding reliable good help years ago.

I spent all day chasing my employees down or interviewing prospective hires.

I couldn't believe how many guys worked just long enough to pay for truck repairs, girlfriends abortion, etc. and then quit.

America is doomed!!!

I know how you feel, I just finished up a insurance job stemming from the october storm, tore off 42 sheets of plywood, rebuilt 42 ft of soffit, changed it all over to vinyl soffit, re-installed 42 sheets of 5 ply fir plywood, then installed 14 squares of shingles my self, 6 pitch roof about 10 ft off the ground, worked my arse off nut made great money, re-insulated the attic also, :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray gables View Post

I know how you feel, I just finished up a insurance job stemming from the october storm, tore off 42 sheets of plywood, rebuilt 42 ft of soffit, changed it all over to vinyl soffit, re-installed 42 sheets of 5 ply fir plywood, then installed 14 squares of shingles my self, 6 pitch roof about 10 ft off the ground, worked my arse off nut made great money, re-insulated the attic also, smile.gif

Nice to be young and full of energy smile.gif

A buddy of mine is a skilled carpenter, can operate heavy machinery and has a class b cdl. He is as reliable as sunrise but is having trouble finding a job. Central NJ.

Unfortunately, when the work gets scarce, the worst workers get let go first. Thus, the majority of those looking for work come from the bottom of the barrel. The guys that have worked awhile in the trades and have some skills have moved on to their own thing to stay busy, or have a connection for work already, for the most part.

Even when times were good, we would have a practical test for new hires, measure ,cut, read a tape, use a few tools. Amazing how many people wouldn't make it past this to actually work.

If you don't know what you're doing, be honest.If you do show up on time, they might keep you :D

Most owners I know in the trades never find "The right one." The problem may be the owner or management not necessarily the new hire. One could always close down shop and take that awesomenes and work for someone else. Love to hear what that owner says about performance. Viscous cycle. :D

This is the life we have chosen. :D

Im a Jack of all trades with no master and trying to find a job is damn near impossible these days. What happened to just filling out an app and landing a job that day? Now most places wont even give u an app u gotta go through a 90min online app and most likely there's a 1000 people who probably filled out for the same position so your chances of getting a call back are slim to none unless u have high qualifications.. I know i just gotta keep at it and someday i hopefully sooner than later the right job will fall in my lap! It's 2012, a new year now so i can't wait to see where it goes!

You need to adjust your expectations for 'extra help' don't even learn their names until they prove to be employable. There are a lot of guys who think they want to work, but after a few days they are longing for the couch.

:v:

lol, we always nickname the new guy "Next"