Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firedawg

Night of the Triple Header...... almost!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

For me, this trip started last November when I promised my sons girlfriend a shark. I got her hooked up to about a 6ft Sandbar only to loose it at the shore. She was so excited, but disappointed because of no photo proof. Again, I promised her if she came out and braved the cold she would get her shark and picture! We get to the beach a little late, it’s just about dark, it’s cold & windy, but at least the surf was flat. I had my 12/0, 14/0, 80W, and ran them out. About 45 min later I am briefing them what we do if we get a double (which is common with SB’s), and my 12/0 goes off. I scream for someone to suit up while I run to the rod. I get a solid hook-up and drag is going off. My son’s GF wanted him to get the first one, so he straps in. About 10 min later he lands a nice 6’4” Sandbar. I smile at Sammy and tell her “You are next, so keep that harness close!”

[img=

2hphbt0.jpg

I really didn’t want to make another bait drop, but with action like this you gotta do what you gotta do; even if it’s freezing out! I did a double drop, and decided that’s it, no more drops! I get dry close on, all into the tent cot, and hear my 80W absolutely screaming. By the time I got un-bundled from the sleeping bag, out of my cot (I ended up getting out the wrong side and started running the wrong way), and finally to my rod the light stick is straight down the beach and the shark is gone. I had half a ray wing on and it was gone, all I got back was a bare 20/0 Mustad.

I stay up a little longer thinking I would get hit right away, but no such luck. Throughout the night I was tortured by fast, 20-30ft runs that would drop the bait. It was a great night because Sammy finally got her shark picture and a PB shark, and my son also got his PB shark. It was crazy for a while, and a trip I will never forget. At 5:30 I threw out the surf rod and got a 13-15lb Drum and started packing it up. I will neither confirm or deny that the Drum now is residing in my freezer to be used whole this spring 

They are actually called Sandbar Sharks, and are in thick now!

What part of florida is this, what kind of bait and how far do you take the bait out. Love the pics, very cool. I go to florida alot and would love to fish the south coast for a change of pace

What kind of sharks are those? Does sandbarr mean sand shark?

I believe sandbar sharks are the same type that we call 'brown sharks' (of south cape beach fame...LOL) here in New England

Edit - just got this off a site called new england sharks:

Sandbar shark, Carcharhinus plumbeus, usually caught off the south facing beaches of Cape Cod,

and the offshore Islands. Called by many the "brown" shark beause of its brown color. Very hard to

distinguish from a dusky, Carcharhinus obscurus. The sandbar has a very large dorsal.

I am in the Panhandle, and Bonita was the bait they hit the most. I did get one shark on Ray. I usually drop the baits anywhere from 125-250 yards from the beach, but I have caught them 50' from shore!