Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rphud

Western NY for the holidays info request

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

So it looks like I will be stationed in Rochester for the holidays as the designated care givers to my father in law as he recovers from bypass surgery. I know I will need to get out of the house and I am thinking "he lives right on Lake Ontario, I should take my gear". I have never fished the tribs and will need a crash course on how to and would appreciate any places recommendations as well. I suppose if I make it a whole day thing I could be on any Lake Ontario trib and maybe the east end of Erie, but less likely to be in a blinding snow storm if I keep to Ontario. So, please post or PM me any such info and how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Huddy

I agree with the above on burning a spot on others, however a run along the Seaway trail and exploring the tribs inland will payoff big time. January and Feb can be tough as many ice over. Once you find good open water less than a mile inland you'll find fish. Seek out open outlets with good flow and you should find good open water. I fished these tribs in January with little exploring and it paid off. Good luck and catchemup.

Dporreca

Thanks for the input. Been kinda warm up that way as well as down here. All the water seems to be open (and therefore the lake effect snow flying). I will be pretty close to the shoreline in Webster as a starting point and will probably try a bunch of tribs to just see how things go and avoid as much crowding as feasible. Probably try the Genny (the river not the Screamers) once or twice as well. thanks again!