Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luvdasurf

12 Foot Mojo Surf Conventional

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Looking to get a new conventional set up for chunking , I was always a custom one piece guy, but was so impressed with the 10'6 Mojo Spinning I am considering the 12 foot ,2 piece mojo conventional. Any thoughts on this rod,anyone have any experience with it. Thanks for your input guys!

I looked at this rod and thought it was to heavy. Settle on Lamiglas XS12MHC but rod is hard for me to load. Age? Now looking at Lamiglas SS12MHC 3-12 oz to get more action . From what I read same blank as 6-16 oz I only use XS12MHC for 8-12 oz and bait. Now if Legend was made 6-16 oz I would own one. Also warranty. Just my opinion.

Any problems with it? does it handle 8 and a head?

Yes, it can take 10oz at ease...I used to own the XS 12MHC, I did not like it as much as the mojo, so I sold it on BST....

I was testing the mojo out over the weekend with the little Avet and 65lb braid.    Very sweet set up and it has no problems with 8 oz and bait... if anything 8 oz was light to really load the thing up.  Rod is light and very powerful.

Also on cheaper end is the 11'4 DBlue conventional... An awesome stick... Super comfortable to fish with and throws 8 n bait with ease and is not stiff by any means... Really nice rod... I have the same one in spinning and it's not as nice... the convench is sweet. I would also say that I don't own the mojo but I would think that it would be a great rod... DBlue will cost you 149.99 and will be at your house in a day or 2...

Any problems with it? does it handle 8 and a head?

I think it loses some punch with 8 and a bunker head with a little bit of the shoulders, but that's just my opinion based on my casting style. I still consider it an 8nbait rod, but I'll use another rod when fishing big heads. No problems with it after two years though...still has a consistent place in the line up.

I own the rod, and fished it alot during the spring run. To me it is very

light, and handles an 8 and bait very well. It will be all you need for bait

and big fish.

Thank you for all the replies!!! Really appreciate everyones input! So one more question, what reels have you guys been teaming up with this rod? I was thinking of old faithful a 7000 abu, or a 235 newell, any other thoughts? Avet maybe? If anyone has used an avet which one did you find was a good fit?

Thank you for all the replies!!! Really appreciate everyones input! So one more question, what reels have you guys been teaming up with this rod? I was thinking of old faithful a 7000 abu, or a 235 newell, any other thoughts? Avet maybe? If anyone has used an avet which one did you find was a good fit?

Forget the Avet, if you can find 525 mag, grab it..

Forget the Avet, if you can find 525 mag, grab it..

Agree with this, the 525mag is a great match for the mojo. I've also used an Avet MXL MC but it was a little big for the rod. If you like Avets, the SX MC should match up nicely but probably won't outcast a 525mag.

i personally hate casting my avets. i have an mxl and an sx mc. i never used em in the surf, but i just hate casting them. i have a daiwa sealine on my 12 footer that i REALLY like to cast. never casted a 525mag...but the sealine is the best conventional i have casted

The 7000 Abu is to heavy , 235 Newell to slow and had the Avet in my hand but did not feel right.I have three 525 mags on the shelf.Used them for four years. Switch to a Trindad 14. Its like a Ferrari compared to 525 mag.Just my opinion.