Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Homer1

Maple Flooring part 2

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

After posting this about maple floors:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/816933/staining-a-maple-floor

..we decided not to stain, and we're very happy w/ the results.

I had to extend the floor slightly, so i fingered in a bunch of boards. A LOT OF WORK! ripping and chiseling out the strips:

[img=

byt the way that saw and the Avanti blade were awesome, ripping the maple and staples near the tongue w/ no problem

Here's the finished product. I used three coats of shellac, then three coats of Bona Traffic - two part water based product. Tthe stuff is about as goof-proof as you can get. It dries so smoothly and perfectly, almost like pre-finished! Awesome product! (expensive, though):

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2620729/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

After posting this about maple floors:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/816933/staining-a-maple-floor

..we decided not to stain, and we're very happy w/ the results.

I had to extend the floor slightly, so i fingered in a bunch of boards. A LOT OF WORK! ripping and chiseling out the strips:

[img=

byt the way that saw and the Avanti blade were awesome, ripping the maple and staples near the tongue w/ no problem

Here's the finished product. I used three coats of shellac, then three coats of Bona Traffic - two part water based product. Tthe stuff is about as goof-proof as you can get. It dries so smoothly and perfectly, almost like pre-finished! Awesome product! (expensive, though):

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2620729/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

looks good, maple is a major PIA to stain, it comes out very blotchy,

thanks everyone!

I stained some samples in every possible combo of stain types and wood treatments; the guys that did the sanding also brough me a couple samples. Mine were horrible; his looked better but the color was more like hot buffalo wing sauce.

By the way, any of you guys that sand floors--- u deserve whatever u charge, maybe more!:)

I can do most renovation work myself, but i could never have foreseen the tools required to do the job! Sure i can rent a sander, but they have scrapers for tight spots, flat sanders that slide under the appliances, all kinds of stuff-- well worth the price! Lotta labor too.

Homer,

Nice, we have beech floors and also left them light. The Bona traffic is expensive, but I feel worth it as the other products make cleanup and polishing a snap. This is the 6th Christmas with these floors and they they still look new. And that's with 5 years of a labrador retriever trying to gain traction chasing the cats, numerous spills, scrapes, sliding furniture and constant use in the main part of the house. Definitely worth the cost of the Bona.

Pete

Good to see that the Bona is wearing well, Shag--- i was worried about that.

I have some left over; i think i'll refinish my Andersen slider with it in the spring.

hey Homer, I'been doing wood floors for almost 40 years, got a patch job like that at university of south alabama tommorrow (roof leaked).

wanted to compliment you on your work, looks real nice

thanks Eagles and J; i had the luxury of all the time i needed for such a small patch. There were a few spots where i had to use a small block plane and even one of those mini planes when wedging some of the newer pieces into the old. Most people, (my wife included) could never ever appreciate that kind of detailing, so your compliments are greatly appreciated!!:)