Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NS Mike D

Costco

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Yesterday I decided to get our act together with our Costco account, so I picked up the basic food saver, a side of sirloin, a whole top round and a whole pork tenderloin. Cut them into steaks and into the freezer.

I have some bags of veggies I will repackage to custom sizes.

Also picked up their chicken parts which are conveniently packaged for separating to usable sizes.

Curious to see who else chops at a warehouse club and how you make the most of it.

How do you save money and what mistakes to you make.

I was disappointed. My primary reason for going their was to pick up a whole shoulder for roast pork, as well as a packer brisket. They had neither.

The rib roasts on the bone looked tasty, but I don' have the time to cook those now and didn't want to freeze them.

I do notice that meats from costco tend to be "wetter" when I cook them. Wonder if I should be aging the in the fridge as per Alton Brown's method.

I do it.  Its ALL about loss leaders and gainers.

I think (don't have a pie chart, but I have done all family shopping for many years) the food world-the more perishable, the more you save.  Lettuce is quite cheap when you buy 6 pounds.  Buy beef that you can cut and freeze is a little cheaper, but no grand slam. 

Then there is the quality issue.  Starbucks coffee.  Five pound bag is like eight bucks verus twelve in the regular store-and a full pound of that coffee is like the shake in a bag of weed-crap.

Everybody buys toilet paper and towels by the mile.  Its a fairly small saving

Electronics and appliances are either made exclusively for the clubs or they are manufacturing boo boos. 

Then there are the things that come in at full retail.  You are browsing the dvd cutout bin, and you kid grabs a new disney movie-its full boat.

Can you save money?  Yup.  But you have to be careful, and it won't be enough to buy that house in the mountains.

I have experience with their buyers. They are freaks about putting out quality products on the Kirkland label products, at least in the contexts that I have dealt with them. I have purchased many an item from them, and they stand behind all of them. Pricing on electronics is similar to other places, but you get a two year warranty, and they stand behind it. Don't like it. Bring it back. They will take it.

Most of what I purchase from them is freeze half, use half. Easy to drop several hundred and only pick up a few items. Wish they had better selection on the brisket. I generally go with the one at Super Walmart. Can't find it anywhere else in NJ without a day in advance order. Quite partial to the ribeyes, especially the few times a year when they are a little lower in price than normal. If your selective, you can find a package of choice almost as good as the prime, so I generally buy the choice. Rib roasts about 3 x per year.

About my favorite place to shop.

Don't care as much for BJs or Sams Club.

I liked Costco but wife forbid me shopping there after a while. I bought too much meat, hard for two of us to get through it. Seafood selection was limited but it was always very good.

Rib Eyes, NY Strips, Flaps and Skirt Steaks. Just look for packages with good marbling. I usually get my babybacks there and sometimes pork shoulders for smoking. I don't find the chicken to be that great a deal. Frozen scallops and shrimp are pretty good and a bit cheaper.

One thing Costco has that you don't see in a lot of other places is flap meat steaks. In the Boston area, every other restaurant, bistro, joint & pub serves "marinated sirloin tips" or "steak tips" which is flap meat cut into chunks. It's GREAT for kebobs, on the grill or stiry fry. VERY tasty.

"An extension of the T-bone and Porterhouse steaks, flap meat is officially part of the short loin section, explains Bob Fanucchi, known as Butcher Bob by his students at San Francisco's California Culinary Academy. "It's actually in the belly of the animal," he says. "You remove the flank, take the layers of fat off and the meat is called flap meat." Even in the United States, there are a few different versions of flap meat. It's often confused with hanger steak, which it's not, and some butchers label it as sirloin tips, which it also is not."

"It's a beautiful steak," says Eduardo Martinez, kitchen manager at Bi- Rite Market in San Francisco, which sells marinated Niman Ranch flap meat. "It's a nice option to the more expensive cuts of steak, like the flatiron, which is kind of a commodity because all the restaurants use it." Like skirt or flank steak, flap meat benefits from marinating and being cooked on high, dry heat, whether grilled, broiled, pan-fried or stir-fried. It's vital to cut the meat very thinly across the grain, and it is at its best not too much past medium-rare. "It loves a good raw heat, where you cook it nice and fast, where the flames hit it," says Shannon Gregory, a butcher at Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, which sells Niman Ranch's flap meat in both its meat market and in the restaurant as a plate of bistro-style grilled steak with red wine shallot butter. "Make sure you cut across the grain. Otherwise it's like eating a lot of rubber bands."

I don't care for Costco's hamburger, the patties look great but are over processed and tough (my experience), but the rest of their beef and pork, including spares and babybacks, are usually pretty good. Someone who posts on here is involved with their seafood and specifically their sea scallops - they are excellent, especially for the price.

I agree they are better than BJ's and Sam's but like any one else - you need to be a saavy shopper

what they may have on sale in their mailer may be on sale CHEAPER at Shop Rite

know your products and know what the current sales situations are and you can do well

Like Little says "caveat emptor"

[Let the buyer beware]

^^^^^^^^^ It's not just price either. The people in the meat dept at my Shop Rite are very good at "special requests" like when porterhouse steaks go on sale. I like them about 1 3/4" thick and when I ask them for 4 they do a terrific job of cutting and trimming them. They have done large (14 lbs) prime rib where they cut it off the bone, trim it and tie it back on the bone. Get to know them, be reasonable and it's like a custom butcher shop at discount prices. And their prices are certainly comparable to Costco, especially on weekly sale items. Knowing prices is the only way to know if you are getting a good value, you can't just assume that the club store prices are better.

On the other side, you're going to love the food saver gadget, its a hoot.

Make a pork butt, pull and chop it and sprinkle on a sauce.  Put some in a food saver bag and seal it up.  Comes back out perfect.

I put a pie dough in the food saver at Thanksgiving and pulled it out a couple nights ago, it was better to work than the dough I used before.

I buy spices in bulk when I am in Atlanta at the Dekalb Farmers Market and bring them home.  Put some in the spice drawer and vac seal the rest.  It rocks.

On the other side, you're going to love the food saver gadget, its a hoot.

Make a pork butt, pull and chop it and sprinkle on a sauce.  Put some in a food saver bag and seal it up.  Comes back out perfect.

I put a pie dough in the food saver at Thanksgiving and pulled it out a couple nights ago, it was better to work than the dough I used before.

I buy spices in bulk when I am in Atlanta at the Dekalb Farmers Market and bring them home.  Put some in the spice drawer and vac seal the rest.  It rocks.

love it already

used to bug me that the freezer was running around the clock either empty or sparse with freezer burned items. Also, I can't tell you how much food we have thrown out over the years that we hadn't gotten around to cooking due to busy schedules.

Plus our two boys have very different taste. It's going to be nice pulling a a steak for one and a pork chop for the other.

I hadn't throught about the spice thing. Great idea. my spice cabinet is a mess and loaded with stale jars. I should buy in bulk and only keep in hand a working supply of the often used spices/herbs and sealing the rest and storing away.

I also think I can get rid of the 5 gal Blues Hog container in the fridge.

:th: Thanks

As far as the spices Pensey's delivers very high quality at reasonable prices. Everyone says throw the grocery store spices out at 6 months or a year, but I find the Pensey's spices last a LOT longer than that in their resealable bags. I don't generally buy ground spices other than cinnamon, however.

Costco does test every batch of hamburger it ships unlike the others.

Went to Costco today. Frenched rack of lamb is down to $13/lb so I got two $20 racks. Got flap steaks too. Otherwise, just some stuff -- eggs, milk, cheeses and water.

Went to Costco today. Frenched rack of lamb is down to $13/lb so I got two $20 racks. Got flap steaks too. Otherwise, just some stuff -- eggs, milk, cheeses and water.

Same price at Stop and Shop this week.