Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kooky

No felt soled footwear allowed?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Was reading an article about stocking ponds in the Projo and the last line mentions that felt soled footwear is not allowed in RI state waters (im assuming this is freshwater only). When did this change come about, not that i do much fresh water wading but just curious since this is the first i have heard of this? Is this to prevent people from bringing algae or other invasive lifeforms from one waterway to another?

RI stocks salmon, trout ahead of ice-fishing season

Comments 0 | Recommend 0

December 20, 2011 8:49 am

By News staff

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- Rhode Island officials are stocking ponds in the state with salmon and trout ahead of the winter ice-fishing season.

The Department of Environmental Management says the Division of Fish and Wildlife will stock 100 Atlantic salmon and 500 rainbow trout in six ponds across the state over the next two weeks.

Salmon averaging between two and four pounds will be stocked at ponds in Coventry and Lincoln. The trout, weighing an average of three to five pounds, will be stocked at ponds in Coventry, Lincoln, North Kingstown, South Kingstown and Tiverton.

Officials say there is no safe ice yet and to check local conditions.

Under a new state regulation, anglers may not wear felt-soled footgear in any state waters.

Felt can provide the perfect habitat to house and transport invasive aquatic species, particularly a nasty alga called didymo, or more commonly, “rock snot.”

Didymo, (didymosphenia geminataidymosphenia geminata) is a single-celled alga originally native to northern Europe, Asia and Scotland, and is historically found in cold, clear streams that are coincidentally the habitats of nearly all species of trout. It grows in strands up to 8 inches in length, that block sunlight from hitting the river floor and choke out the organisms in the system that rely on sunlight for photosynthesis. The impact on an ecosystem is substantial, and can be irreversible if the organism spreads wildly out of control.

I know that several states have banned them. I believe LL Bean no longer carries them. I always used them for river fishing, but understand the danger they pose to those streams. I haven't been in the freshwater in a long time, and was thinking about starting up again. Guess I'm going to need new boots.

Besides the hugely expensive Korkers, does anyone know of a rubber soled boot that accepts spikes? I'd like to find a pair.

Is saltwater considered state waters/ Therefore , does the ban on felt apply to surf fishing?

I'm hoping not, cause boots were not on the new gear list this year :(

Is saltwater considered state waters/ Therefore , does the ban on felt apply to surf fishing?

I was wondering that myself.. :confused:

I know that several states have banned them. I believe LL Bean no longer carries them. I always used them for river fishing, but understand the danger they pose to those streams. I haven't been in the freshwater in a long time, and was thinking about starting up again. Guess I'm going to need new boots.

Besides the hugely expensive Korkers, does anyone know of a rubber soled boot that accepts spikes? I'd like to find a pair.

LLbean Gray Ghost Wading Boots, Studded - buy em once and get new ones every season. They are very light and rugged.

Oh, and wait till they go on sale. :)

i dont think mine are going to make it another year....

they were a inexpensive pair of cabelas ultralights..think they were under $30 bucks, but that aint bad seeing as I got a little over two years out of them...someone told me they went up in price though..

what are the boots TJ got that basically blew up?

i dont think mine are going to make it another year....

they were a inexpensive pair of cabelas ultralights..think they were under $30 bucks, but that aint bad seeing as I got a little over two years out of them...someone told me they went up in price though..

what are the boots TJ got that basically blew up?

Hodgeman King streams. i think coleman bought out the company, so who knows how the quality is now. I just know I was a mile and a half from the car in waist deep water and the whole freakin sole fell off. :mad:

From the regulation:

1.17 It is prohibited that any person use foot gear with external felt soles in any state

waters, inclusive of freshwater, tidal, or marine. This shall include any waters

shared with adjacent states in which any Rhode Island Fishing Regulations apply. [emphasis added]

Posted in the Main forum by Trigger. I guess that settles that. Enforcement is another whole issue