Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zybathegeek

So starts the disintegration of the state known as Iraq

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I'll bet that inside of 5 years Iraq will splinter into tribal Kurd, and sectarian Shia and Sunni.

Going to be very interesting, there are restive minorities of Kurds in southern Turkey, northern Syria and Northwestern Iran, not hard to imagine the drama if all Kurds united in their push for their ancient tribal homeland, particularly when revenues from Northern Iraqi oilfields are within their grasp.

December 19, 2011

Arrest Order for Sunni Leader in Iraq Opens New Rift

By JACK HEALY

BAGHDAD — Iraq’s ****e-dominated government was thrown into crisis on Monday night as authorities issued an arrest warrant for the Sunni vice president, accusing him of running a personal death squad that assassinated security officials and government bureaucrats.

The sensational charges against Tariq al-Hashimi, one of the country’s most prominent Sunni leaders, threatened to inflame widening sectarian and political conflicts in Iraq just one day after the last American convoy of American troops rolled out of the country into Kuwait.

The accusations were broadcast over Iraqi television, in a half-hour of grainy video confessions from three men identified as Mr. Hashimi’s bodyguards. They spoke of how they had planted bombs in public squares, driven up to convoys carrying Iraqi officials and opened fire.

Under the direction of Mr. Hashimi’s top aides, the men said, they gunned down convoys carrying ****e officials and planted roadside bombs in traffic circles and wealthy neighborhoods of Baghdad, then detonated them as their targets drove by. One of the men said Mr. Hashimi had personally handed him an envelope with $3,000 after one of the attacks.

It was impossible to substantiate any of the accusations aired in the confessions.

An aide in Mr. Hashimi’s office said the three men had indeed worked for the vice president, but he denied all of the allegations. The aide said Mr. Hashimi was in the northern region of Kurdistan, meeting with Kurdish officials to defuse the worsening political standoff with Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki.

Reidar Visser, an analyst of Iraqi politics and editor of the blog historiae.org, called the situation the worst crisis Iraq had faced in five years.

“Any leading Sunni politician seems now to be a target of this campaign by Maliki,” Mr. Visser said. “It seems that every Sunni Muslim or secularist is in danger of being labeled either a Baathist or a terrorist.”

The last week has yielded a near breakdown of relations between Mr. Maliki, a religious ****e, and his adversaries in the Iraqiya coalition, a large political bloc that holds some 90 seats in Parliament and is supported by many Sunni Iraqis.

Members of the Iraqiya coalition walked away from Parliament on Saturday, accusing Mr. Maliki of seizing power and thwarting democratic procedures through a wave of politically tinged arrests in recent weeks. The boycott was the culmination of months of political discord, and signaled the near breakdown of relations between two of the country’s most powerful political adversaries.

Earlier on Monday, Iraq’s high court — a body often seen as beholden to Mr. Maliki — announced it was barring Mr. Hashimi from leaving the country. For days before the confessions were broadcast, several of Mr. Hashimi’s bodyguards were detained while state-run television and government surrogates promised to reveal evidence tying Mr. Hashimi to criminal acts.

On Sunday, Mr. Maliki sent a letter to Parliament seeking a no-confidence vote in one of his deputies, a prominent Sunni politician who has also been a vociferous critic.

The American Embassy said Ambassador James F. Jeffrey was in contact with Iraqi officials, but declined to comment further.

Oh, my what a big surprise.

We have known for decades that over 60% of the population was Shia and Saadam was Suni. We also knew that Iran is Shia dominant and would play a huge role in Iraq's future once Saadam was not there.

Oh, my what a big surprise.

We have known for decades that over 60% of the population was Shia and Saadam was Suni. We also knew that Iran is Shia dominant and would play a huge role in Iraq's future once Saadam was not there.

we also knew that obama withdrawling (actually failing to secure our ability to stay) would lead to the collapse of Iraq. That was knows form day 1, when we left it would implode.

im glad were gone all the same, we need to stop meddling in other countries affairs for no reason.

im glad were gone all the same, we need to stop meddling in other countries affairs for no reason.

Sadly Business Inc will always do what is good for Business Inc.

I'm looking forward to when the Kurds start a secessionist movement and get their traditional land back from Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran.

Be really interested to see what the UN would do with that, the Kurds have a greater claim to their homeland than the Palestinians specious claims.

I say let it divide.

The only reason those tribes were thrown together as a country was because some Brit drew some lines in the sand without considering thousands of years of history.

It is the only way there will be some resemblance of peace, they don't seem to want to get along well enough together to make a country work.

classic right wing mentality,

"I'm glad we are gone, but anything bad that happens is Obama's fault".

not really....were leaving due to the failure of obama, the fail is a good thing in my opinion thuogh. , I expected to be ther emuch much much longer, bases etc. ......but as I said the day we leave it collaspes thats been know since day one.

we shuodl be closing bases all over the world and bringing our troops home from everywhere.

not really....were leaving due to the failure of obama, the fail is a good thing in my opinion thuogh. , I expected to be ther emuch much much longer, bases etc. ......but as I said the day we leave it collaspes thats been know since day one.

we shuodl be closing bases all over the world and bringing our troops home from everywhere.

wow, can this get any more partisan?

how can what was know day one be the failure of the guy who took over day day 2,500+

Say you crash your car and tell me it's totalled and give to me and see what you can do with it. I try to fix it, but concur its wrecked. And then you conclude I wrecked your car.

I say let it divide.

The only reason those tribes were thrown together as a country was because some Brit drew some lines in the sand without considering thousands of years of history.

It is the only way there will be some resemblance of peace, they don't seem to want to get along well enough together to make a country work.

Absolutely correct, a bunch of British chinless wonders sat over a map of the area in a London club and cobbled together a disparate country from what they called Mesopotamia.

It was about oil then, it's always been about oil, and it is still about oil.

So many vultures hoping and praying for the worst. I am hoping and praying that things work out so that the Iraqi people will have peace and prosperity and our 4,500 troops/35,000 wounded did not make this sacrifice in vain.

I don't know why so many root for failure just to assauage their own skewed opinions. IMO, we may have left too early when what the Iraqis' really need is time to consolidate their democracy. We have less influence now and may not be able to affect the future but I still hope that they will settle in and things will work out. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow but all I see here is a lot of cheerleading for failure. Sad.

I don't see cheerleading for failure. I see acceptance of reality; along with a couple of " I told you so"s

Iraq was orchestrated by some guys who thought that Vietnam could have been a success if only they had been in charge.

John M

we also knew that obama withdrawling (actually failing to secure our ability to stay) would lead to the collapse of Iraq. That was knows form day 1, when we left it would implode.

John, you could be fair and say "We knew the date Bush agreed on was wrong" and then add your part about Obama not extending the war. You're not adverse to saying Bush was wrong about the withdrawal date, R U ?

Not to worry, I'm sure after Iraq and Afghanistan are done the M.I.C. will have begun their next war.

wow, can this get any more partisan?

how can what was know day one be the failure of the guy who took over day day 2,500+

Say you crash your car and tell me it's totalled and give to me and see what you can do with it. I try to fix it, but concur its wrecked. And then you conclude I wrecked your car.

historyy tells us it would fall apart when we leave. Same is true in Afghanistan, the day we leave it goes right back to what it has been. In the end all the blood and treasure was wasted.

John M

John, you could be fair and say "We knew the date Bush agreed on was wrong" and then add your part about Obama not extending the war. You're not adverse to saying Bush was wrong about the withdrawal date, R U ?

Not to worry, I'm sure after Iraq and Afghanistan are done the M.I.C. will have begun their next war.

TJ I did say from day 1 did I not? Obama took over on what? day 2800?