Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

Weapons Seizure & Forfeiture pursuant to domestic violence accusation...

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

I am a believing in the rule of law, the protections of due process and the principles of fairness and equity. This is one area of law that truly offends me! "Weapons" is broadly defined; understandably. Yet the police and the courts never seize those steel-tipped boots! The King's men can seize your property and the Government holds the obligation of establishing the grounds for forfeiture, yet, it the DV context all decisions are colored by the accusation of spousal abuse ... Even when all charges--- criminal & DV have been voluntarily dismissed or even after an acquittal after trial!

What is even further amazing is that people are not told of the collateral consequences of their decisions --- whether represented by counsel or pro se. So, a person can be induced to enter a plea to a Misdemeanor / DV related offense (ie, Simple Assault, through the threat of harm or recklessly causing bodily injury) and the consequence is that they will forfeit their Firearms ID card and firearms. Why would someone enter this sort of plea? Husband and wife are both charged with a felony assault --- Someone started the whole mess and someone defended themselves ... The prosecutor offers to downgrade the offense in return for a plea, no probation and a fine. The guy looks at it... Thinks "I'm I going to pay $$$$ to defend myself." money that he may not have... The husband and Wife have kissed and made up... After all, Christmas is here and what about the kids? And then there's a knock on the door and two gun safes full of a lifetime of collectables are emptied and tossed into a car trunk... 45 days notice... 45 days to hearing... 60 days to sell.

Does not seem right, does it?

Take it to PG, or don't post it here at all. That was directed at the three intervening (and now invisible) posts, not the OP.

Why such a heavy hand?

what about those of who dont venture into those contaminated waters? should we not be educated reguarding such things simply because we dont wish to wander?what gives bro ?

what about those of who dont venture into those contaminated waters? should we not be educated reguarding such things simply because we dont wish to wander?what gives bro ?

You need to be "educated" to the fact that BJ hates Obama and any other politician that has a D after his name? ;)

Take it to PG, or don't post it here at all. That was directed at the three intervening (and now invisible) posts, not the OP.

Why such a heavy hand?

Hey--you did notice that there was no "or else" after that, right? :laugh:

If he was really a true Prophet, he wouldn't have to be given a name--he'd know it already.

Man, I've been saying he is a false prophet for years now. It's about time i got someone of stature to finally agree with me.