VS Question

Rate this topic

poppopsmack

I'd go with a 275 for that rod.

+1.

I have that combo--1321M and the 275. I really like that extra line pick up on snotty days. Normal surf/wind just adjust your retrieve to be a little slower. For night fishing you're usually crawling on the retrieve anyway. As far as being too heavy--unless you're a 12 year old girl it's not that big of a deal.

The earth is made up of 3/4 water and 1/4 land. Surely, the good lord intended for man to fish 3/4 of the time and work the other 1/4.

You would have thought the builder would have gone over all this with him if he knew what he was doing?? Wouldn't want him building me a Rod!! :kook:

How can you have a custom rod built before choosing a reel? Its one of, if not the most important factor in determining proper guide placement...:huh:

easy fellas, i didn't say i HAD a rod built, i said i am HAVING a rod built,i still have alot to go over with the builder, that is why im asking about reels.

I am glad to hear a few guys like the 275 on that blank.

but now that you bring up placement, im not having it built with a reel seat, i will be using a plate seat, or taping on...

lets say its built around the 275, and i later decide i want a 200 or 250 because of weight and balance, if im able to move the reel location will i have any other issues?

thanks

Dan

The GSB132 is best matched with a VS275 or a VS300. I say this because this is the "old school/traditional" Montauk rod that works well with the Crack 300 or Luxor 3 - which most closely match the VS's I mentioned.

I think the 200 is better on a 9 or a 10 but I would lean toward a 10.

<p><p></p></p>

but now that you bring up placement, im not having it built with a reel seat, i will be using a plate seat, or taping on...

lets say its built around the 275, and i later decide i want a 200 or 250 because of weight and balance, if im able to move the reel location will i have any other issues?

thanks

Dan

I tape my reels on the rod and I've never had an issue moving the reel or using a different reel on a rod. I've never noticed a change in performance. Some people insist on matching the exact reel to the rod but I do not feel that it is very important. A rod should be able to work well with almost any reel.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Some people insist on matching the exact reel to the rod but I do not feel that it is very important. A rod should be able to work well with almost any reel.

Most people insist on matching the rod to the reel irrespective of the factors that matter and instead focus on either some mystical conception of "balance" or an antiquated notion that long rods need big reels and short rods need small reels ;)

Whether a rod should be built specific to a certain reel or built to work well with a range of reels depends on the needs of the user. Some of my rods were built for a very well-defined and specific purpose or utilized certain components that require the whole system be perfectly tuned to a set combination of reel, line, etc. A distance plugging rod built with lowriders for roosterfish for example - it might be able to cast a t-hex 150 yards off a power aero but throw a penn battle packed with 20# mono on it and you'll have an almost unfishable disaster on your hands. Others I build to be versatile - unaggressive guide placement, ring diameters to accommodate braid or mono, different spool diameters, etc. - but such a rod won't do any one thing extraordinarily well.

Neither, IMO, is a sign of a good or bad rod, only an indication of the needs of the user, how well he conveyed them to his builder, and that person's skill in building the rod accordingly.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.