Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
poppopsmack

VS Question

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

im having a gsb 132 1m built, and looking to put a VS250 on it, shold i be considering any of the other VS reels for that blank?

What are the differences other than size and capacity? gear ratio?

thanks!

Dan

the reel choice is more what yo are fishing for, line you are using, conditions you are fishing in. if you are going with a vs on the rod i assume you are getting in the surf, wading to rocks, putting the reel in the water freguently. also will assume you are fishing plugs , bucktails, tins etc in the 1-4 oz range and using braid. all the being the case you could use the vs 200 - 300. probably even use the 150 if you wanted to but it wouldnt be my choice. all those reels have plenty of line capacity and hanlde braid and are strong enough for the use described above. that being the case if yo are going to buy just 1 vs you might want to consider which would give you the wides range of use.

i will generally be fishing south shore li surf, not wading out to rocks, mostly 1-3 oz plugs some bucktails, and using braid. I used to have a 250 and liked it, but i have no experience with any of the other models. they're so damn expensive i figured id do some homework, rather than find out later...

i appreciate the input Mike!

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have most of the VS reels with the exception of the 300, just too damn big. It's assame they don't have a VS225. I would go with either the VS200 or the VS250, but I'm leaning towards the VS200. I have the VS200 on a custom supersurf rod rated for 1-3oz and had no problem with bass up to 38 lbs on the South Shore of LI. That's my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Pete

Recommend going to a shop that sells VS with your new rod once its finished and decide by placing the models you are considering on the rod. I'm having a GSB1321M built as well and will be using a 250. Since I am lefty, its my only real choice, but if I had the option, I would use a 275 instead of 200. Just my opinion. Best of luck with your new rig....

I'd go with the 200 but thats just me! Your the one who is paying for it & will be fishing it. You have to feel comfortable with the feeling of it. Like you say They are not cheap.

Also a lot of the shops will spool it for free!

If you are buying one VS than the 200 is probably the best. It can be used on pretty much any surf rod. Really its a matter of preference all have enough drag and more than enough line capacity for any bass out there.

I have a 250 on that rod... and I use it on my10 ft rod as well. I am used to a big reel such as a crack 300 and the Penn 706 so the 250 works for me. The difference between the 200 and 250 is a 1/4 inch larger spool diameter and maybe 1.5 ounces.

well i may have just made a swap deal for a used 275 im hoping it will not be too big...

I would have went to the tackle shop 1st to see if you like it! IMO It's to big but then again what do I know!