Fluorocarbon invisibility

Rate this topic

jameso20o

I would think that the manufacturer of the flouro would have more to do with clarity or invisibility than the size.

- Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon...... 

- Thomas Jefferson - "The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases"

Our flag doesn’t fly because the wind that moves it. It flies with the breath of every fallen solider who protected it.

I remember when guys were using Dacron on their conventional reels.....high visibility and they were catching fish. The bass over the years haven't gotten any smarter ;)

No, they're as dumb as ever but they are pressured now far more than they were in the past. Plus, there were a heck of a lot more of them around when dacron was being used...

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Try it sometime when you're not catching--drop down from 80 or 60 to 30. Sometimes it helps. Of course that will be the night you hook an absolute slob and she shears you off in the rocks.:D

The earth is made up of 3/4 water and 1/4 land. Surely, the good lord intended for man to fish 3/4 of the time and work the other 1/4.

I believe the smaller the diameter the less visible the line is.

Cheers

At the limits, calculus would bear this out.

However...the refractive index is more the issue.

CLEAR, FRESH water has a refracive index of ~1.333. Flouro line is very close to this (but not exactly)

Dirty water is different, salt water is different, scuffed up line is different, colored line is different.

I know that it does make a difference... I use short (3')sections of 15, 20, 30,50 leader knotted to braid inshore.

I chuckle when I see some older washed out flouro (probably a lot worse than mono)

Off shore is particularly bad, as 80# or 100# or 250# leader or line gets a little pricey.

powerless

To follow up with the last post, in my opinion, the reflective properties help in many cases but not all - in the 'wrong' light, it's pretty much as visible as mono...in the right light or water conditions, it is more difficult to see...I don't think it makes one bit of difference at night...especially away from lights or a bright moon