Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sks

Another off subject, sawmilling logs

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Ok so I went over to a buddies house to clear some fallen trees, no problem I keep the wood. Well it's Cherry. The best one is 18 ft long x 14" dia. plus a couple of others not as good but should be usable. Ok, local guy with a band saw mill says it's worth $ 54. 00 to him, not including the other 2 pieces. Hell I can get over $ 125 as fire wood. Really makes no sense to me. Hate to just burn this up. It's the trunk with no branches and pretty dam straight. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Scott

Ok so I went over to a buddies house to clear some fallen trees, no problem I keep the wood. Well it's Cherry. The best one is 18 ft long x 14" dia. plus a couple of others not as good but should be usable. Ok, local guy with a band saw mill says it's worth $ 54. 00 to him, not including the other 2 pieces. Hell I can get over $ 125 as fire wood. Really makes no sense to me. Hate to just burn this up. It's the trunk with no branches and pretty dam straight. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Scott

cut it up and burn it, I built a house back in 04 up wilton NH, the site was loaded with black cherry trees, the homeowner and myself looked forever to find someone with a portable sawmill, to no avail, we cut it all up, split it and burned it, well at least I did, his half is still sitting there,

Good smokin wood. Some say the best. :th:

Might know a guy up here with a sawmill, but I don't know if it would do you any good ... sounds like burnin' wood to me also.

the large log you describe contains between 135-155 of board feet (if its 14" diameter on the small end). if it is really good quality (veneer grade) it might be worth between $0.80-1.50 per board foot. this price is delivered to a log yard. the other logs would be worth between $0.25-0.75 per b.f delivered. have you considered having it milled and keeping the lumber yourself. for $0.35 or .40 a foot you can get it milled out. stick it really well in the corner of your barn or garage, weigh it down and let it dry and its worth $4 or 5 bucks a foot. my brother is a cabinet maker and when i come across interesting stuff (like cherry or figured maple) he buys it and mills it out. we have a few thousand feet drying in my hayloft all the time. the cost of good hardwood at lumber yards is crazy.

on the other hand. if you have no use for the lumber and don't want to deal with trying to sell the logs. it makes good stove wood, and with the price of firewood what it is, you havnt really lost that much if anything.

A 155 bft of air dried lumber is enough to make some really nice heirloom casework. It very well could be a neat family piece with a story. It could be passed on to other family members through time. Something to consider...

Thanks guys, Ya I'm still looking in to it, not going to do anything right away. I was thinking of getting it cut and keeping it. Any idea how long you have to let it dry before you can build anything. If all fails I will be burning it or selling the firewood. Seems a shame is all.

I would put it on sticks for a couple of years (in a covered area).

Just make sure the sticks are directly over each other in the stack.

I've made a lot of furniture with NH native cherry over the years. It is good to work with, and finishes nice as a cabinet wood.

I have a 20" planer that you are welcome to use to plane it if and when you get ready.

Thanks guys, Ya I'm still looking in to it, not going to do anything right away. I was thinking of getting it cut and keeping it. Any idea how long you have to let it dry before you can build anything. If all fails I will be burning it or selling the firewood. Seems a shame is all.

whereabouts is the wood, I might be interested in buying it, to burn that is, I'll cut it up and load it myself,