Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillT

Slammer or Battle?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

The Slammer is the old work horse and a great reel.  I own a Battle 6000 which is a newer model and love it.  I really don't think there is a tremendous difference between the two reels other than price and the market testing.

Because the Slammer has been around much longer than the Battle, it has a little more credibility, but honestly your looking at anywhere from $130-179 for a new Slammer that is the same size as the BTL6000.  You can find the 6000 for under $100 bucks shipped to your house. I use my Battle for the early season on a 9' Custom Lami rod.

It is smooth as anything and really holds up to big fish.  At my local B&T shop they sold over 50 battles and not one return. 

End of the day both reels will work for you but why spend the extra money for the same result.  

Hope this helps.

The Slammer is the old work horse and a great reel.  I own a Battle 6000 which is a newer model and love it.  I really don't think there is a tremendous difference between the two reels other than price and the market testing.

Because the Slammer has been around much longer than the Battle, it has a little more credibility, but honestly your looking at anywhere from $130-179 for a new Slammer that is the same size as the BTL6000.  You can find the 6000 for under $100 bucks shipped to your house. I use my Battle for the early season on a 9' Custom Lami rod.

It is smooth as anything and really holds up to big fish.  At my local B&T shop they sold over 50 battles and not one return. 

End of the day both reels will work for you but why spend the extra money for the same result.  

Hope this helps.

would you say that it is "braid friendly" .

do you know if it is more "braid friendly"than the Slammer ?

You can get a new Slammer 560 for around $100 too.

I could be wrong but isn't the Battle an upgraded Sargus?

Pretty much 2 reels in the same class ..but I haven;t handled a Battle.

Manny

would you say that it is "braid friendly" .

do you know if it is more "braid friendly"than the Slammer ?

The battle is designed for braid. You can add it on without any backing, if you wish.

I have a 560 Slammer and a Battle 4000. The Battle is much newer and therefore I can't comment about its durability. I wouldn't say I like one much more than the other, but the Battle does seem to have a better drag.

It is extremely Braid friendly the Battle was designed for Braid.  It has a rubber gasket on the spool so you don't have to put any backing if you don't want to.  It is also a complete steel body which does not flex under the torque of braid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gman1253 View Post

You can get a new Slammer 560 for around $100 too.

I could be wrong but isn't the Battle an upgraded Sargus?

Pretty much 2 reels in the same class ..but I haven;t handled a Battle.

Manny

I have seen the 560 for $100, my comment was more towards the larger slammers as far as the higher pricing.  The nice thing about the battle event the larger ones is that they don't spike in price if you know where to look.  I got mine new on ebay from a big fish sports, free shipping and the lowest price I saw anywhere.

The Battle is basically an upgraded Sargus but I think it has 1 more bearing and built a little more solid.  Both are nice reels

I haven't seen that much of a difference between the two The Battle has a faster line retrieve that may come in handy at times and the Battle drag can be set a little higher. But fishing mainly eels and sluggos I like the Slammer slow retrieve better. I also like the drag system on the slammer better. The drag washer is better protected on the slammer. The Battle is more like the SS series and needs cleaning more often.