Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimmy1956

Beef Tenderlin Price / Quality Question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Went to the local ShopRite this am to buy a tenderloin to fix for X-mas eve. There were htree different proce ranges for whole tenderloins, 7.99, 11.99, and 15.99. Is there really that much difference in taste or qaulity (tenderness). I'm going to trim, tie and roast whole.

Any thoughts?

Could be the grade (select, choice, or prime) or it could be standard beef, Angus beef, and some thing like "all natural" or "grass fed" Angus.

For example, this week Roche Brothers has USDA Choice Rib Roast for $7.49/lb and Certified Angus Rib Roast for $10.49/lb.

Shop Rite has the three different types of beef available:

Natures Reserve (Australian)- The cheap stuff. More of a flat fillet. Not round like the USDA

USDA Choice Beef Tenderloin- the mid-grade

USDA Certified Angus- I haven't found much of a difference in the Angus and the Choice. At least not enough to justify the extra couple of bucks.

Shop Rite has the three different types of beef available:

Natures Reserve (Australian)- The cheap stuff. More of a flat fillet. Not round like the USDA

USDA Choice Beef Tenderloin- the mid-grade

USDA Certified Angus- I haven't found much of a difference in the Angus and the Choice. At least not enough to justify the extra couple of bucks.

Thanks, Choice it is.