Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen1

Kayaking in the Evergaldes

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've been flyfishing in saltwater for 10 years and during that time I have never fished out of the Northeast. This April I am planning a trip to the Everglades. I have already booked a guide on his flats boat, but the other days I will be on my own. I want to do some fishing out of a kayak.I have done a lot of kayaking on the cape and elsewhere. I have read alot of stuff about going out with guides and DIY. I have limited funds so I would like to do one guided day and then a couple days of kayaking on my own. Yes, I know of the dangers associated with navigating the maze of channels. I would like some advice about guides and DIY. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

The Everglades is very large.

If you're going to be there for a while, you can fish a bit of it...otherwise you need to be a little more specific.

You can rent kayaks all over the place. Though I've never done it, I have seen them way back in there.

To the East around Key Largo and South through The Keys, the water can get big...fast (actually true all over) Don't go out too far without a guide and/or a GPS, water, radio and survival gear. People have been known to go missing down there.

Flamingo is cool and may be what you're thinking of...truly an "Everglades experience". You drive way back in and boat around when you get there. There's a campground (get a reservation) and plenty of places to stop along the way in.

On The Keys side, contact Rich Tudor and Tom Rowland out of Duck Key.

On the Ten Thousand Islands side, contact Aron Blaisdel or Rob Walczak.

There are plenty of others, but I know these guys.

The bugs are big and plentiful enough to carry you away, especially at and after dark... come prepared.

This is an unbelievably beautiful and unique place ...

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. I will contact the guys you mentioned. I do understand the immmensity of the Eveglades and I have no interest in becoming a statitic. However, I am looking for some tips from those guys who venture out on their own w/o having to worry about getting lost. Thanks again.....

Steve

I fished Flamingo out of the Kayak in January a few years back. Some rat reds off the drop was all I could find. Nothing spectacular. I have one piece of advice about that place if you get stuck paddling in the mud, "Never get out of the boat..unless you are going all the way." I sank in mud up to my waist. I stepped forward and found something solid and I got out. It could have been a fossil of the last angler that did not make it.

Next time I want to explore Hells Bay and out into Whitewater Bay if I do another winter trip. When driving down the road to Flamingo I saw the Hells Bay launching area.

Chokoloskee charters offers kayak fishing guide service, mother ship service and rentals. My advice to keep it on the cheap, is to find a kayak rental place around Florida City and take it for the week. Maybe cost you 100 bucks. Learn the area on your own. You can camp at Flamingo or use the little huts that are mapped out all over Hells Bay and beyond. Flamingo offers a camping area that has showers and bathrooms. It's a beautiful park. If you don't want to pitch a tent, sleep in a mini van, that's what I did. Have fun be safe.

I also believe Jon Shein wrote a book about his adventures back there in a kayak. Could help with the learning cure. That would be worth looking into to.

Contact everglades area tours out of chokoloskee, charlie wright, he has a kayak fishing service and rents yaks. Very very knowledgeable about the area. you can stay in everglades city, 2 miles up the road, rent from Chuck and he will put the boat on the ramp entering chokoloskee bay. More reds, trout, snook, jacks, ladies, snappers and gags than you will ever need. Ask him for pointers. I spend 2-3 weeks a year there and the place is awesome as is Chuck. PM me if you need more information. If you have a yak going with you let me know I can show you where to put in. Awesome awesome area!!!!!! Tell him Scott from New York sent you!

Oh and Choko bay is a do it yourself kind of place. Plenty of area to fish without getting lost. Until you get comfy that is ;) Remember at the second nest on the left coming in Rabbit key pass is the turn for choko bay :)

Hey thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice. Since I am not going till April I have plenty of time to research the info you shared. BTW Scott, nice redfish, I'll be PMing you.

Steve

There is a kayak service I used when I was in miami late may. There name is eco-adventures adventures and the price for a day a of guided kayak fishing is 85.00. They work for the state and do servay's on the environment while there guiding you. Can't beet the price.

Chokoloski has lots of kayak fishing. The whole southwest side of florida is condusive to kayak fishing in fact.Check out florida sportsman.com for specific info there is alot of people that do the same thing you are doing. Dont get lost back in there it all looks the same.

Where are you going to be?  Flamingo can be notoriously tough to fish... but it is a big ocean, the fish are either easy to get at, slightly harder to get at, or just somewhere else.  In the Everglades, hard work is rewarded.  Kayaking can be tough.  Many things can ruin your day in a hurry.  Distances are deceptive, so you got to have a plan.  Lucky for you, the heat is not lethal yet in April. 

Anyway, if you are fishing out of the east side of the park and need a hand, let me know.