Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

ever rent a camper?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

seen them on the highway just wondering if its worth it, or a better bet to just rent a place. I wouldnt be driving too far if I did rent one...

Depends upon the cost of the RV rental, cost of "lodging" rental, cost of camp space and location of camp space to where you want to be, whether you would need a second vehicle to get around in once you got to your camp site, cost of gas, fuel mileage of RV vs. normal vehicle, mileage restrictions etc. Also don't forget insurance and your ability to drive a 30' plus vehicle

it is something on my list of stuff to do. i want to fly out to maybe phoenix and rent a rv there to tour the west.

for a trip on the east coast staying in 1 area i would just rent a place.

it is something on my list of stuff to do. i want to fly out to maybe phoenix and rent a rv there to tour the west.

for a trip on the east coast staying in 1 area i would just rent a place.

we drove ours across the country 2 summers ago what a great trip. One thing about the rentals, they never have a real camp set up, no chairs, no fire, no grills, none of the outside stuff you see at most cmaps.

Fly to primary destinaton then Rent Harley or Goldwing/ BMW and hit the road ,out west there is to many highways so little Time for most, wife and I usually spend a Month at time ,one trip 48 days, 18 states and 8800 miles great time,camp for four days then motel for night,do laundry and off you go again, Hard to beat UT with 7 National Parks ,seen and talked with folks with rental units , pretty restricted on mileage under basic contract and hit you hard for exceeding mileage limit,some camp grounds over night site fee's are close to motel 6 / super 8 .rates, fuel cost no doubt excessive,i was getting 40 mpg on wing two up towing trailer.

Oh forgot we are fully retired, NO Young un's, only one cat and neighbors take care of her and we house sit for them when they go on long trips. Do it while you can ,do not sit around and say I wish . Yes we rode the Goldwing from Fl to Glacier National Park in St Marys, Montana, Road to Rising Sun worth every mile getting there.

Cant say it enough/loud enough ""Go For It ""

I rented one (a trailer) from a friend of my wife's once. She had bought it as a place for her parents to stay when they came to visit from California. Her place didn't have room. I guess she should've ran it by them first. They wouldn't stay in it.

So I took it to Louden one year. Picked it up and the plastic was still on the carpet. Took it home, loaded it up, and scraped it against a tree when I was backing out of the driveway. cwm31.gif Wasn't bad, only took a couple of hundred to fix. Told her about it and she couldn't even see where it'd been hit. She wanted to sell it to me. I told her she'd have to knock a bunch off the price since it'd been damaged.  cwm27.gif

Realize it varies greatly but does anyone know the basic breakdown of cost?

What size motorhome you talking about? I never rented one, owned a 24' MinniWinni. Bought it used for~$8000. Towed my German sports car behind it (Rabbit diesel :D ). Every time you want to go somewhere, you have to pack everything up or it goes flying around. Just a run to the package store for beer means packing everything up. Becomes a real PITA, thats why I towed a car. You will pay more at a camp site, regular auto insurance won't cover them in Connecticut, had to get special insurance. Breakdowns are expensive, happened on my first long trip, lucky I had a sports car following me. :D

Who pays for breakdowns while renting, something to find out. A good friend of mine owns a beautiful 30 something foot diesel motorhome, it's his pride and joy. He spares nothing on it's upkeep. His wife hates it, it's broken down on every trip they've been on.

T