Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperReleaser

ASMFC Tog reductions 2012

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

With the 53 % coast wide reduction i was wondering what your state's creel and season reductions will be . Here in Delaware our season and creel has been and our reduction options . We will be using option 3 next year .

How Bad will your reduction be and will it affect how many trips you go on net year ?

I won't be driving to Delaware for 5 fish.

Mike usually these regulations don't go into affect until around may .

I found these options for NY .

NY Reduction Options For 2012

1. October 1 - November 15, 16 inches, four fish

2. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - November 12, 16 inches, four fish

3. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - November 15, 16 inches, three fish

4. January 1 - April 30 & October 1 - November 25, 16 inches, two fish

5. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - October 28, 15 inches, four fish

6. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - October 24, 14 inches, four fish

New jersey currents creel limits are

The minimum size limit for tautog is 14 inches.

FOUR fish limit January 1 through April 30

A ZERO fish limit May 1 through July 15

A ONE fish limit July 16 through November 15

and a SIX fish limit November 16 through December 31.

Wonder when and how many Tog you will be able to keep next year in NJ after the 53% reduction !

;)

This will definitely reduce the number of northerners coming to Delaware to go blackfishing. The days of filling up the cooler seems to be disappearing. I have no problem with the new limits but I'm sure the charter and head boats will be taking a hit. Still more liberal than MD.

This will definitely reduce the number of northerners coming to Delaware to go blackfishing. The days of filling up the cooler seems to be disappearing. I have no problem with the new limits but I'm sure the charter and head boats will be taking a hit. Still more liberal than MD.

It is a mixed blessing !

Whatever the reason, the tog fishing is not what it once was... not even what it was 10 years ago... or 5 years ago... at least in my opinion. Somebody has been shooting too many buffalos (I have shot a few buffalos, so I'm in with the "somebodies" and not pointing fingers). Granted, my views are slanted by fishing in an area that is simply POUNDED on a daily basis... go south down the parkway and the results vary. But still.

Hopefully clamping down on us results in the .gov getting serious about clamping down on rock hoppers, everyday poachers, etc. (not just recreationals) and this fishery comes back.

I'm not a biologist, so I don't know what is the "right size" for optimal baby tog production, but I do know that big tog really don't taste very good, are a pain to cook since the filets are too thick, etc. Seems like a slot limit would be a good thing... unless we find that 14-18" fish are the prime producers and the older, big girls really don't get it done anymore.

Saw a guy Friday on the Ocean Explorer reel up a fish and say "hey , Capt is this one of those togs?" (so much for Belmar being ALL sharpies)... if we aren't careful, 20 years from now, guys that fish every day might be asking the same question.

The new regs aren't going to do a damn thing. If the current regs were enforced we would be fine.

They will do something. They will prevent guys like me from keeping 6... just like the current regs keep me from keeping 8, like I used to before they did the most recent bag reduction. It is easier (and cheaper - at least from a government expense angle) to reduce catches by imposing a smaller catch limit on honest guys than it is to try and catch criminals. That's just the way it is.

They will do something. They will prevent guys like me from keeping 6... just like the current regs keep me from keeping 8, like I used to before they did the most recent bag reduction. It is easier (and cheaper - at least from a government expense angle) to reduce catches by imposing a smaller catch limit on honest guys than it is to try and catch criminals. That's just the way it is.

I certainly understand that.

The regs will change and the fish will continue to get hammered for the live fish market.

Mike usually these regulations don't go into affect until around may .

I found these options for NY .

NY Reduction Options For 2012

1. October 1 - November 15, 16 inches, four fish

2. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - November 12, 16 inches, four fish

3. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - November 15, 16 inches, three fish

4. January 1 - April 30 & October 1 - November 25, 16 inches, two fish

5. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - October 28, 15 inches, four fish

6. January 17 - April 30 & October 1 - October 24, 14 inches, four fish

;)

blackfishing doesn't get good till the end of november and now more pressure will be on the seabass bite.:shock:

The regs will change and the fish will continue to get hammered for the live fish market.

I agree. I just don't think that REAL enforcement is ever going to happen... boats, guys with badges, lawyers, all cost money. Writing a new regulation that probably 98% of us will follow to the letter costs practically nothing.

It is the same as the story with taxes. It is easier to raise taxes (or impose new ones) on the law abiding than it is to chase tax cheats and the underground economy.