Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

Registering a untility trailer in NJ question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have some questions, long story short I found a utility trailer for sale in NJ. My father called the guy and he mentioned there is no title that you dont need one in Jersey. So my question is how do you register it in NY? I know from the past they ask for the weight, etc, etc. He said he would provide a bill of sale but is that enough?

There is no title in NJ for a utility trailer. When they are new the DMVC uses the "Vehicle Origination" document supplied by the manufacturer.

In your case see if there is any kind of ID number on it. The bill of sale may qualify for origination in your case.It's a very simple procedure. Maybe call your local DMVC office and ask.

Becareful with the Home made deal. I know two guys that tried that and were told they needed to have the trailer inspected. The inspection will show it's not homemade.

As above, there is no trailer title in NJ. In fact, you registration will say NTTRL....meaning no title trailer. It should be easy, but it's easy to go wrong. I imported a glider from Austria once. It came with a trailer, but the trailer had no separate bill of sale. I had the Swiss bill of sale from the original owner - they didn't care about that.

I had to "give" it to a friend, and then buy it back for a dollar. He gave me a bill of sale and the DMV loved it. Easy, but not free of nonsense.

We tried the whole "homemade" deal years ago, went to NY dmv to register it and they wanted a receipts for items told them we had everything in the garage but insisted on receipt for the axle. Got one from the local junk yard went back and then they wanted the weight. Unfortantely we said no effen idea rather then bsing them with any number. So know after two trips to the dmv we were no where! Then someone my father knew mentioned to us that the trailers home depot sold had no numbers on them but they come with the all necessary paperwork. They had one outside fully assembled and we went over the thing with a comb and were 99% there was no number, so we went inside opened up a box and "borrowed" the paperwork. My father used a welder to braze the numbers from the paperwork onto the frame of the trailer, been registering it for close to 15 years w/o an issue.

Long story short I am not (rather we are not) going to go through all that again. Trying not to have any issues this time around.

What do you think we should do?

I just learned from my pops the guy said he has an old registration and would also give a notorized leter bill of sale. Do you think we can have any trouble registering this thing?

Easier said then done! Sometimes there isnt even an open parking spot, then you when you find one there are times you wait for over 1 hour on line to get a ticket, then another hour for your number to be called! Got to love the city! lol

Sometimes I drive to LI to go to the DMV but really dont want to just to ask a question, probably will try calliing albany on monday.