Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

Striped Bass Regs

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I haven't kept a fish in years so I never bothered to look at this years regs.

I was under the assumption that, like everyone on the beach says, you can keep 2 fish at 28 inches. According to the regs website, its one fish in a 28-40 inch slot, and one larger than 40 inches. Has this been the regulation all season? If so, maybe better effort should be made to inform the average beach fisherman of these regs. There is a huge difference between 2 at 28 inches and a slot limit+ one bigger than 40.

Yea the info is out there most beaches or docks have that info is you look for it

and... I am not that greedy once in a blue moon i take a fish bigger than 38 so never had that problem.

But to point the info is there readily available if you look for it :) also do not forget to register for the 2012 registry if you plan to fish NY waters had a ranger

actually ask me for mine lol

It's not a slot limit. The first fish needs to be 28". The second has to be over 40". Both can be over 40".

The only way one can take two fish over 40" in NY is if they are on a head or charter boat. All other recs can take one between 28-40 and one 40+

I guess the thing to think about is why would you want to take a fish over 40?  Do you have a family of 7 to feed?  End of the day people who are taking the limits and the larger fish are ultimately hurting the fishing for the rest of us.

I usually practice catch and release but I will take a fish home only if I intend to cook it that night which I love to do (have a great striper ceviche recipe if anyone is interested).  A 28" bass provides plenty of meat for a nice family dinner.

I understand if someone is on hard times and is actually in need of food, in that case take all you can.  But lets be honest, I doubt the guy lugging two keepers into a cooler who has over $1000 worth of gear on is hurting for a meal.

Fish responsibly so we don't have the crappy year on LI this fall like we had!

It's not a slot limit. The first fish needs to be 28". The second has to be over 40". Both can be over 40".

The regulation says first fish 28" to 40"

if you don't believe me look for yourself.

Not bashing you, but this is a prime example of what I'm talking about. People aren't informed

The regulation says first fish 28" to 40"

if you don't believe me look for yourself.

Not bashing you, but this is a prime example of what I'm talking about. People aren't informed

the regulation says 1 28-40 1>40

First fish 28-40 implies that you have to fill the slot before you keep an over 40 You can certainly take one over forty and not keep a slot fish.

the regulation says 1 28-40 1>40

First fish 28-40 implies that you have to fill the slot before you keep an over 40 You can certainly take one over forty and not keep a slot fish.

The regulation makes no such implication. It simply states 1 fish over 40", 1 fish 28-40". It does not matter what order you catch those fish in. Your are only allowed to keep ONE fish over 40", and one fish between 28 and 40". It's been that way all season and for a few years now. Nothing new there, and it's up to ALL marine recreational anglers to know the regs for the fish they are catching, and especially if they are keeping them.

Chris

The regulation makes no such implication. It simply states 1 fish over 40", 1 fish 28-40". It does not matter what order you catch those fish in. Your are only allowed to keep ONE fish over 40", and one fish between 28 and 40". It's been that way all season and for a few years now. Nothing new there, and it's up to ALL marine recreational anglers to know the regs for the fish they are catching, and especially if they are keeping them.

Chris

:confused: I didn't say the regulation implied that! If you read what I quoted, TSB stated first fish as well as flyvice. I said that the regulation stated 1 28-40 1>40 People who say first fish are implying some kind of order or requirement that you fill the slot first before the >40, not me nor the regulation. Nowhere in the regulation is first fish mentioned

I would love to see a one fish at 36" season starting from May 8th (Like it used to be) and end November 30th.

With that no bunker harvesting whatsoever in the raritan bay... :)

I'd like to see no closed season & the ability to keep 3 fish > than 28" just like Jersey. A bunch of guys I know that usually fish out of NY hopped on a PB out of Jersey yesterday & had a bang up day on bass & bluefish. If NY were still open I would've been able to do the same without driving to NJ..

I would love to see a one fish at 36" season starting from May 8th (Like it used to be) and end November 30th.

+1 :th:

+1 :th:

:kiss: SKIDD agrees with RUSS ??? HOLY ****E LOL.. Oh i'm with you guys, 1 FISH @36 PERIOD from said dates ...Yes Russ "Like it used to be"...

:confused: I didn't say the regulation implied that! If you read what I quoted, TSB stated first fish as well as flyvice. I said that the regulation stated 1 28-40 1>40 People who say first fish are implying some kind of order or requirement that you fill the slot first before the >40, not me nor the regulation. Nowhere in the regulation is first fish mentioned

Sorry for the misunderstanding of your post Shaky.

The way it "used to be" was no regs at all. The 36" limit was a relatively short lived situation. I can't understand why striped bass conservationists consistantly support targeting fish that are just about 100% breeding females (striped bass >36" ), instead of distributing that pressure to the males of the species which don't usually grow that large.

The 36" rule made sense during the rebuilding of the stock, because they were protecting a large year class of young fish growing up, and allowing them to breed a few times. Now? What's the point?

Chris