Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
searchin

No Quicksilver Pro

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

That's too bad. We went twice to watch the event and

it was well worthwhile. Surf was great that week and I

wonder what the reasoning is for not comimg back?

My guess would be that it takes too much "energy" to get a good surf on LI. And once you get enough weather, there go the crowds. Just not meant to be.

Surfing is really a westcoast activity, if you're gonna make it a lifestyle, that is.

I disagree. While I agree the conditions are on the east coast do not favor contests, the east coast is just as much a place to make surfing a lifestyle as it is on the west coast. We don't have waves everyday. But we do get atleast shoulder high rideable waves once a week between the months of October through may. There's just as many people on the east coast that makes surfing a "lifestyle" as there are fisherman who make it a lifestyle. And this is coming from someone who does both sports.

edit: after reading the press release, it seems as though waves and crowds were not a factor. It's actually because of quicksilver's layoffs and budget cuts. They simply don't have the funds for it. A west coast event was also cancelled

My guess would be that it takes too much "energy" to get a good surf on LI. And once you get enough weather, there go the crowds. Just not meant to be.

Surfing is really a westcoast activity, if you're gonna make it a lifestyle, that is.

There was some back and forth regarding whether or not the contest was indeed going to take place.

The "no surf on LI" argument has run its course, although when you through the word "lifestyle" into it you have a more valid argument. As long as this does not turn into a "there is no waves on LI" discussion, because as we all know there certainly is ;)

Just read the press release.

What's his face was right.

Told ya, the owner of a local surf shop told me Quicksilver only held the contest because they were trying to make money, by selling their merchandise, being. I asked what about the tournament, he says that wasn't the main focus, it was just to attract people to spend money! But in fact Quicksilver lost money because they paid more money in permits and didn't even make close to what they paid LongBeach for the permits to hold the event. Even the owner of the shop thought Quicksilver holding the event in Long Beach was a bad move, Quicksilver was depending on the revenue that the festival would of brought, but being that it was cancelled, that's what killed it! Now that Democrats won the local election, there's not a chance they'd even invite Quicksilver back to Long Beach.

The amateur politicians in long island got involved and as usual ruined everything. slamming a company with high unneccessary permit fees is no way to spark the economy. That's just another reason why this place sucks. They are not gonna come back because they were not given a good reason to. Lighten the permit fees, deregulate ridiculous business regulations, give some incentive to come here. This company could have been convinced to come here, no effort was put into it. Long Beach loses out on potential tax revenue, the surfing community loses out on a tournament and a company does not grow. LONG ISLAND IS AMATEUR HOUR!

The amateur politicians in long island got involved and as usual ruined everything. slamming a company with high unnecessary permit fees is no way to spark the economy. That's just another reason why this place sucks. They are not gonna come back because they were not given a good reason to. Lighten the permit fees, deregulate ridiculous business regulations, give some incentive to come here. This company could have been convinced to come here, no effort was put into it. Long Beach loses out on potential tax revenue, the surfing community loses out on a tournament and a company does not grow. LONG ISLAND IS AMATEUR HOUR!

Well said. Oh jeeze I agree with Skidd on something.

For what I've been reading in the surfing mags, especially "Surfer" a few months ago I don't think it has anything to do with the local politics or scene, but is a reorganization of the ASP and the cyber media influence on the industry. Most surf contest's audiences view the contests on cyber-video from their computers, pads, phones etc. The viewing audience is worldwide, and the big name spots get the most audience play and therefore the most sponsorship. Although I enjoyed watching the LB Pro online, I doubt many South Africans, Hawaiians, Fijians even knew it was taking place. Pro Surfing is in a tough spot, salaries aren't like other professional sports with teams, but instead only come from product endorsements. The prize money doesn't come close to other organized sports. Quicksilver being the largest and I've heard may be headed for or is in chapter 11; is probably cutting corners and examining where they would get the most for their buck. There is also a movement among pros to organize another pro surfing organization. So there may be a a wait and see attitude as well.

For what I've been reading in the surfing mags, especially "Surfer" a few months ago I don't think it has anything to do with the local politics or scene, but is a reorganization of the ASP and the cyber media influence on the industry. Most surf contest's audiences view the contests on cyber-video from their computers, pads, phones etc. The viewing audience is worldwide, and the big name spots get the most audience play and therefore the most sponsorship. Although I enjoyed watching the LB Pro online, I doubt many South Africans, Hawaiians, Fijians even knew it was taking place. Pro Surfing is in a tough spot, salaries aren't like other professional sports with teams, but instead only come from product endorsements. The prize money doesn't come close to other organized sports. Quicksilver being the largest and I've heard may be headed for or is in chapter 11; is probably cutting corners and examining where they would get the most for their buck. There is also a movement among pros to organize another pro surfing organization. So there may be a a wait and see attitude as well.

I heard about the chapter 11 thing. What I'm trying to say is the thing was here once why not try and improve on it and make something out of it? Get another sponsor in, have long beach sponsor it or involve the county or the state. Not in anti big business NY. I am not a fan of surfing, but I see a great way for people to make some money, businesses to expand and the city of Long Beach to add some money to its coffers. As usual, Long Island fails again on a grand scale. FAIL!

I heard about the chapter 11 thing. What I'm trying to say is the thing was here once why not try and improve on it and make something out of it? Get another sponsor in, have long beach sponsor it or involve the county or the state. Not in anti big business NY. I am not a fan of surfing, but I see a great way for people to make some money, businesses to expand and the city of Long Beach to add some money to its coffers. As usual, Long Island fails again on a grand scale. FAIL!

Was skiddd abducted by the mother ship, and there is a Manchurian Candidiate type taking over his persona? or has the Spirit of Christmas raptured him.

Either way and I can't believe I'm saying this I agree with you. Happy Holidays.

Pete

Well said. Oh jeeze I agree with Skidd on something.

Was skiddd abducted by the mother ship, and there is a Manchurian Candidiate type taking over his persona? or has the Spirit of Christmas raptured him.

Either way and I can't believe I'm saying this I agree with you. Happy Holidays.

Pete

Bizzarro world....

See, we all CAN just get along;:D:D:D----3 days after I caught my last bass and I've already gone stir crazy, time for some sea biscuits on the Hampton Lady!

Hampton Lady's killing them Pak. I was gonna go the 21st but had to back out. Its every Monday and Wednesday. I'm gonna hit it soon.

You don't run a contest to lose money. When the LB Politico's pulled the rug out from under them at the last minute (ancillary events) they lost money. As stated before I was all for the City of LB taking the cautious approach to the festival. Looks like you can't make money running a surf contest and laying out the kind of dough the City of LB asked for. Too bad. It put LB in the spotlight and it fared rather well. Guess my shirt is now a collectors item.