Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fredrick

Mummichog flies

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any good mummichog fly patterns I have brackish water near my house loaded with them I plan on taking the yak on a little adventure this spring in search of some striper spots close to home .

I use Joe Bruces Bull Minner.You can google it up and get a look at it.Its a Clouser variation.The belly is tan bucktail with 10-15 strands of green crystal flash & 5-6 of red flashabou.Middle is rootbeer bucktail with 10-15 strands copper flashabou & 5-6 of bronze flashabou.The back is brown bucktail.Joe tied this and most of his flies with fire orange flat nylon.I have caught flounder,croaker and trout here with it.

Fredrick,

You could start by offering the stripers a fly that's the same size and general profile as the bait. For example, if the Mummies were 2.5" long you could try a Ray's Fly in that size. Or a Magog Smelt. Or a Crazy Menhaden bucktail. Or the small baitfish pattern of your choice. Present it as the naturals are behaving.

My feeling is they all would work. But the stripers will tell you when you've got it right. :-)

Steve

Frederick- Along the flatwing lines, I use an eelpunt variation to simulate mummichogs.

Tail: Lite yellow or lite orange bucktail, gold flash and 3 olive saddles (length to match size of larger specimens of bait)

Body: Gold braid withan olive schlappen palmered over it.

Fished in tight to the grass at night when the mummichogs are in to spawn and the bass here in MA have said yes to it quite often.

Ron

Flatwings are cute but I don't think they're the best answer for this application. Mummies in my neck of the woods are pushed up on the mud banks of the tidal rivers(my back yard). That's hand in hand with stained water. I fish something that moves a little water. Classic muddler minnow. Size 4.

If you have access to Angelo Peluso's "Saltwater Flies of the Northeast", check out Armand Courchaine's " Mummichucker" and the "Wooly Mummichog" of the late, lamented, Capt. John Haag. Otherwise, you probably can't go wrong with a yellow-olive marabou muddler in appropriate size(s).

Thxs for the info guys . You would think that their would be allot more patterns to match this baitfish when I did a search online the same clouser style one from fly fishing the salt magazine came up muliple times and one other came up once .

Thanks Orca.

JohnDe, the old patterns and your flies, especially the small one are great.

How you construct these flies doesn't matter much just as long as it has the muddler head and is about the right size, I like olive or golden olive, but I know other colors will work also. With these flies, sharp short strips seem to work best, I think the quick jerky movements produce the vibrations that the fish pick up on,and this is proved out in situations where I'm fishing side by side with others using the same fly and I'm out fishing them badly, there could be other factors too, but I think that's the main attractor.

The main fact is, that in places where the stripers are eating mummies, these little muddler headed flies will out fish anything else I've tried and I've been fishing one creek where they seem to be the main prey for about ten years now and handing out my little flies to a lot of people and seeing them start to catch fish.

JC