Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

Anyone ever tried this tactic?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just using a casting weight with a teaser tied on a swivel a couple of feet above the weight? I have a couple of bass casting-type weights that are 2 and 3 oz. that I think I can get more distance with that an Ava or spoon-type lure.

I think I'm gonna try this out this weekend and see if I get anything with it.

Will report.

What you're describing sounds like your basic 3-way rig. Works great from a boat where you can keep your line perpendicular to the bottom.

For the surf, why not just use a bucktail if you need a delivery mechanism. You won't have to worry about your teaser being tangled to your main line.

Just using a casting weight with a teaser tied on a swivel a couple of feet above the weight?.

I believe its called a "cape-cod rig" but its tied w/ a dropper loop & no swivel.

Many have been doing it for years, good tactic to punch a teaser thru the wind and -or- to get it over the bar when needed.

seems to me that you could just as well use a 3 oz. "metal" that also has a hook - i.e heavy tin...........................giving you the opportunity to catch on that also.....................am i missing something here ?

Just using a casting weight with a teaser tied on a swivel a couple of feet above the weight? I have a couple of bass casting-type weights that are 2 and 3 oz. that I think I can get more distance with that an Ava or spoon-type lure.

I think I'm gonna try this out this weekend and see if I get anything with it.

Will report.

That's a very old Sandy Hook Rips technique, been doing it for 25 years - and has worked like crazy this fall for those harder to reach, way the hell out there fish down south.

A 4 or 5 oz bank sinker will outcast anything with a hook on it.

Try working it like a drop shot, reel a bit, stop and twitch it, give it a sweep or two, until you find the retrieve they're looking for.

If you look around you can also find torpedo sinkers that are chrome plated for more flash. We use metal jigs (like slim spoon but straight) or larger jig head with soft plastic under sabiki rigs all the time as well. Sometimes will pick up a halibut while making bait.

use the 4 oz metal. distance problem solved.

A bass casting shaped sinker is a lot more aerodynamic than a metal lure.

Didn't have a chance to try it out this weekend but maybe I should have. I don't like a cross wind at my favorite spot so didn't fish very long.