Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brownwey

Rooster Fishing in El Slavador - a little help. . . .

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What better way to do my first post - ask for help - that what this place is  all about - right?

In mid January I am going to El Salvador for business, but I will have the weekends free and I really, really, really want to try to catch a Rooster fish while I have the chance.  I'd prefer to do it from the surf, but a boat is fine as well.  My question to the masses is, anyone ever fish there? - If so, any  recommendations for a guide/service down there?

Appreciate any guidance you all can provide - thanks!

Brownwey

brownwey, where are you headed in El Salvador? Even if you can't find the roosters you'll still have the shot at snook, snapper, bonita,and sierra mackeral. I fished there for two weeks and visited a few beaches but where you go really depends on your budget and language abilities. I would recommend a spot on Playa Barra Salada that offers boat trips inshore, offshore, and has a beach that you'll have to yourself for miles and miles. Just let me know and i'll send you the email to get in touch with the owner. The place is really nice, EXTREMELY affordable, and secluded enough to feel like you're in another world. I was using a 9ft Albright rod and while I could still catch I was wishing for another 20yards on each cast. Once you let me know where you're headed I'll give you some more info.

brownwey, where are you headed in El Salvador? Even if you can't find the roosters you'll still have the shot at snook, snapper, bonita,and sierra mackeral. I fished there for two weeks and visited a few beaches but where you go really depends on your budget and language abilities. I would recommend a spot on Playa Barra Salada that offers boat trips inshore, offshore, and has a beach that you'll have to yourself for miles and miles. Just let me know and i'll send you the email to get in touch with the owner. The place is really nice, EXTREMELY affordable, and secluded enough to feel like you're in another world. I was using a 9ft Albright rod and while I could still catch I was wishing for another 20yards on each cast. Once you let me know where you're headed I'll give you some more info.

Kanvery, if you don't mind can you pm me that info. i'm planning a trip to El Salvador on May and will be nice to have more options, I usually fish near Acajutla, Cobanos and Costa del Sol, I hear good fishing by Barra Salada, this time I want to take my 10'6 legend for more distance. Last time I was there Took a 9 footer but my problem was i forgot the super strike poppers ( well i forgot all my plugs).

Thanks.

Kanvery - thanks - but I fly out tomorrow and I have set up with someone my co-workers in San Salvador know.  I'll let the crew here know when I get back.  But I would be interested in the email address of the other guy in case I end up staying the following weekend as well.

CBR - Thanks for the kind words about my doq Bruschi.  He's my fishing companion on the lake up in Maine.  He's, not as interested in the fish as he is the loons though.

I'll let you know how I do down south. . . . . . with temps in teens here tonight, I will be happy enough to just get in the surf and temps in the 90's.

Hey Brownwey how was your trip to el salvador? did you catch a lot of roosters?? im headed down in a couple months and am having thoughts about what to bring down there im going to be there for 3 weeks and will be fishing most the time. Any lures that worked well for you over there any beaches that were better than others? any information would be good also what size rod did you take over there?

I too am interested in how you did. My dad was working for the US Gov. and I was born there, spent the first 10 years living on a farm there. We used to go to "La Libertad" when we wanted to go to the beach. I remember the black volcanic sand, and the Oysters!!!

Hi there,

I saw your post here as I was generally looking around for roosterfishing in El Salvador. Well, actually I was ther in January and spent a whole week finding out where to fish for them! I also have family down there and a Rancho I can stay at on the Costa del Sol. This, by the  way is rentable from my cousin there. Well, to cut a long story short, I know know where you need to go!!! And, I am headed back there in June and have bought a new set of rods and high speed reels for the job.

If you want to know more, get in touch!

John