Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoboSeagull

Snapper flies

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you guys target baby blues on lite lines and smaller flies. I like going around the docks early to try my hand at catching some. There are times I can catch them and times I can't.

I find fishing for them sometimes gives me a chance to hooks fluke that I ocasionally drift a clouser to. Have you target them for fun or maybe i need to man up and play in the big leagues ;)

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you guys target baby blues on lite lines and smaller flies. I like going around the docks early to try my hand at catching some. There are times I can catch them and times I can't.

I find fishing for them sometimes gives me a chance to hooks fluke that I ocasionally drift a clouser to.

Have you target them for fun or maybe i need to man up and play in the big leagues ;)

Yo, Snapper! Or should I say Robo? Here's my take. The fish you commonly call "snapper" I consider a juvenile bluefish.Yes? This little snapper will eat anything it happens across during its first year of life. This includes the handsome "Whacky Fly". That said, do I 'target' them? No. Are they by-catch? Yes! Would I live-line one? Absolutely-F*ing-lutely yes.

How does the tide factor into your equation? Clousers = get down deep + low tide = accessibility to flounder. Add snappers, a known summer fluke hot-tamale... WIN WIN. No?

Good luck, see you next spring on the flounder grounds...

Snapper fishing for sure, small bright epoxies with UltaHair so it can last. The right size are yummy to eat, even the kids eat em. My grandson is going this year with me to fish em.......tons of fun.

Put some flash on a hook and they'll crash it. When I was a kid I used to fish for them with bare hooks under a bobber in the Shinnecock canal with my grandfather. They are not picky and they are a bit of fun when nothing else is biting.