Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drc

Stradic Ci4 Question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Is Ci4 the latest Stradic model for fresh and salt water or is it a fresh water only reel with the FJ meant for salt? Anyone know if there's a difference?

Shimano's website states that the Stradic CI4 is "Approved for use in saltwater". Several of us use both the CI4 and regular stradic models in saltwater environments.

Thanks. I was thinking of picking up one of the FI's on sale but saw the Ci4's claims of lighter, stronger construction. I guess it's only been out a year, anyone with opinions on it? Was looking at the 4000 size for a light set up.

They are great reels,extremely light if that is important. I wouldn't be using it for heavy salt dunking,It will do fine on the boat. FL guys use it a lot from their skiffs.

I personally thiink it's a schooly type of reel. One problem is no extra spool which I always like to have especially if out all day and want a backup just in case something goes wrong and you lose a lot of line or serious windknot damage. JP

Thanks. I was thinking of picking up one of the FI's on sale but saw the Ci4's claims of lighter, stronger construction. I guess it's only been out a year, anyone with opinions on it? Was looking at the 4000 size for a light set up.

I fished my 4000FI exclusively from the beach this year and it held its own and than some. It's a great light tackle/inshore reel.

Spool it up with 15/20lb braid and mount that sucker on a 7 or 8 foot rod and be prepared to be amazed. I've never had a reel that small and light feel so capable.

The Shimano Stradic FI is tougher than it looks, salt is no sweat, very good reel for the sale prices for certain.  You may not want to spend the extra $ but if you're looking for a lightweight reel with real grit, the brand new Stradic FJ 5000 comes in only a 1.5oz heavier than the Ci4 series 4400 which is one size smaller, and the FJ generates up to 25lbs of drag!  Compact and stiff, the new FJ's super fast as well, 41" per crank.  I LUV mine, syck, u kno...

I may be wrong on this, But the Ci4 is a carbon fiber body, made special for being light weight. The "Fi" is the previous Model "F" being front drag and the "i" being the model code. The Fj is the 2012 model and that is why the Fi's are on closeout sale.

BTW, all excellent reels.

Oh yes, you're right, the Ci4 was made with 'synthetic' materials to emphasize low weight.  My point about the 5000 FJ version is they used the metallic frame construction and still came up with a reel with higher capacity than the 4400 Ci4 and yet only comes in 1.5oz more in weight for the FJ.  It's fairly amazing that they concocted the FJ with a stiffer frame, much higher drag, super fast retrieve, and more capacity, without resorting to a 'fiber' to build such a light reel.  The 5000 FJ is a legit light saltwater reel that makes 25lbs+ of drag but only weighs 10.5oz!  25lbs of drag in a ten ounce reel?  Like I said: syck.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna go with the FI, seems like a good deal at $125 or so.

The new Stradic FJ5000 has its benefits as well and is well worth consideration against the now discontinued FI series. For one, parts will be available for at least 4 years (roughly the time between newly introduced versions) or so longer. The new FJ also adds the additional benefits of metal construction instead of the older flex prone XT-7 graphite. Other improvements include Xship aluminum gear, maintenance port, & the mini egg sinker handle. Undeniable downs are the price obviously (FJ5000 currently listed at a low of $166 shipped on ebay) and the lack of a spare spool.

I may be wrong on this, But the Ci4 is a carbon fiber body, made special for being light weight. The "Fi" is the previous Model "F" being front drag and the "i" being the model code. The Fj is the 2012 model and that is why the Fi's are on closeout sale.

BTW, all excellent reels.

A more important consideration than the lighter weight might be the increase in strength. According to Shimano's claims "It is over one and a half times stronger than our normal XT-7 graphite and is over 20% lighter".

Oh yes, you're right, the Ci4 was made with 'synthetic' materials to emphasize low weight.  My point about the 5000 FJ version is they used the metallic frame construction and still came up with a reel with higher capacity than the 4400 Ci4 and yet only comes in 1.5oz more in weight for the FJ.  It's fairly amazing that they concocted the FJ with a stiffer frame, much higher drag, super fast retrieve, and more capacity, without resorting to a 'fiber' to build such a light reel.  The 5000 FJ is a legit light saltwater reel that makes 25lbs+ of drag but only weighs 10.5oz!  25lbs of drag in a ten ounce reel?  Like I said: syck.

Are you getting this information from the Shimano web site? According to the spec.'s on the box the FJ5000 weighs in at 11.6 ounces not 10.5. As far as 25+ pounds of drag pressure is concerned, the box, paperwork, & website make no claim of that figure. The only reference to the FJ5000's drag pressure I could find was the website who just listed it as "to be determined". Regardless of conflicting information, my scale measures a braid spooled CI4 4000F at 9.51 ounces while the braid spooled 5000FJ comes in at 12.26 ounces. The actual difference in weight = 2.75 ounces not the 1.5 ounce difference you reference. Admittedly the additional 2.75 ounces still is so marginal that I cant see any fisherman worth his salt getting worn out on a reel that is so feather light.

Comparing the old FI, the new CI4, and the new FJ's... I'd personally give the nod to the (drumroll please) Stradic 5000FJ. Given the slight differences in price, weight, and features it really is a personal call though. One really can't go too wrong with any of the 3 choices being considered.

Blackdog- Got the drag number from a Shimano rep, as for the weight - I was going by the website and the feel.  Glad to see you actually weighed one - and you're right, 12+ oz loaded is very nice.  I wonder if the disparity in weight comes from Shimano using the small egg handle on the 5000FJ when maybe they had intended originally to use the flat handle found on the smaller ones.  I used mine on albies this year and can vouch for the stiffness and ultra smooth drag on the Stradic 5000FJ.  Don't forget the speed - 41" per crank is crazy fast for such a small reel and helps with the albies big time. 

The new Stradic FJ5000 has its benefits as well and is well worth consideration against the now discontinued FI series. For one, parts will be available for at least 4 years (roughly the time between newly introduced versions) or so longer. The new FJ also adds the additional benefits of metal construction instead of the older flex prone XT-7 graphite. Other improvements include Xship aluminum gear, maintenance port, & the mini egg sinker handle. Undeniable downs are the price obviously (FJ5000 currently listed at a low of $166 shipped on ebay) and the lack of a spare spool.

A more important consideration than the lighter weight might be the increase in strength. According to Shimano's claims "It is over one and a half times stronger than our normal XT-7 graphite and is over 20% lighter".

Are you getting this information from the Shimano web site? According to the spec.'s on the box the FJ5000 weighs in at 11.6 ounces not 10.5. As far as 25+ pounds of drag pressure is concerned, the box, paperwork, & website make no claim of that figure. The only reference to the FJ5000's drag pressure I could find was the website who just listed it as "to be determined". Regardless of conflicting information, my scale measures a braid spooled CI4 4000F at 9.51 ounces while the braid spooled 5000FJ comes in at 12.26 ounces. The actual difference in weight = 2.75 ounces not the 1.5 ounce difference you reference. Admittedly the additional 2.75 ounces still is so marginal that I cant see any fisherman worth his salt getting worn out on a reel that is so feather light.

Comparing the old FI, the new CI4, and the new FJ's... I'd personally give the nod to the (drumroll please) Stradic 5000FJ. Given the slight differences in price, weight, and features it really is a personal call though. One really can't go too wrong with any of the 3 choices being considered.

Funny you should say this. The more I thought about it I figured with the egg handle, new features, and greater line capacity, what's another $40 bucks. So ended up going with the 5000FJ. Then I came back and checked the thread... Great minds think alike :D