Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roundman

Question on lowrider guides

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have an 8 ft Rainshadow blank that I would like to build into a spinning rod for plugging in the surf in florida. I use low rider fuji guides on my longer surf rods and was wondering if at least using the lowrider for a stripper guide would work on an 8 ft rod. I would appreciate any suggestions. I had in mind using the large lowrider as a stripper guide and single foot guides to finish the rod out. I have build all my rods for years but I pretty much follow standard methods. Appreciate any help, this is my first post on this forum

You can make it work with many different guides. The lowriders were specifically design for much longer rods. Assuming you are not using a huge reel (spool) on an 8' rod so you wont have to worry about to spool size being to large to the ring size. The only benefit I can see on the blank would be the height of the guide, you can get that from other guides though and you probably dont need that much height since the stripper wont be that far from the reel.So you can make it work but it might not give you any benefits.

Go to Fuji's catalog site and they will have several layout options for an 8 foot spinning rod using lowriders and small (probably DB) running guides.

How well they work on an 8 foot rod, I can't say, but if the reel spool is on the small side you likely will be OK.

Also, be aware that lowriders come in several heights. No way you would use a 20 on an 8 ft rod, more likely a 16M or possibly a 12M. I am pretty sure it will work fine if Fuji suggests it as a layout and your reel spool is not too large. I would consider paying extra for titanium if you are able since the larger LC guides tend to be heavy.

I really appreciate the input. I will check the Fuji site and the post suggested. I probably will be using either a Shimano Stradic 5000 sixe reel or a Diawa 3500 size reel. I think they are about the same size.

I think I would try T-LCSG 16m-12-8 then KT8 runners although I have not built a rod under 10 feet with LC guides. There is some strong opinion against using LC guides as collectors on short rods, but I don't think very many people have actually tried it, and the Fuji site does show how to do it. I doubt you will get any kind of casting advantage, however. You'd be wise to test it out first.

A more standard build would involve K guides. There would be some difference of opinion on how to lay that out, but if it were me I think I'd start with a KW25 then probably KW or KL16, 10, then KT 8 runners and see how it looked and cast. I've not yet built a rod this way, however, never mind fished one, so take what I suggest accordingly.

Saltheart has been reviewing the GPS function at the Anglers Resource site. You have the perfect set up to measure and test since you know the reel you'll be using. It will tell you position of ANY fuji stripper guide model.

My experience is that a 5000 size reel will throw braid through a 16M lowrider very well indeed. I'll bet a 4000 sized reel could throw just fine through a 12M, but have not tried it. A 20 lowrider (not what the poster above is describing) is a BIG guide and doesn't belong on a rod built for a small/light reel.

Numbskull, thanks for the advise. I live about 45 minutes from Mudhole and will drop by there after the Hollidays. I think I will get a full set of K Frame guides and maybe a Lowrider 16 to esperiment with. I can tape them on and see if there is any difference. I kinda doubt it.