Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CatchinJiants

Headed to AI this weekend... whats the odds???

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Whats up guys!

Me and a few buddy's got the winter itch and decided to try out the surf and see if we can manage some stripes.  weather looks decent and with the winds I am hoping for a good fishing day... what do you all think? I was going to stop and grab some live eels on the way never used them in the surf before... I see a big mess in my line after a soak.  Any suggestions

Your odds are a lot better than mine since the old lady has pretty much shut me down the past couple times I have said I was looking to get out and hit the sand. If you are saoking bait from the beach I would skip the eels. Fresh Bunker is the ticket if you can find it. If you are hellbent on using eels I would toss them at the OC inlet or 50 bridge. I know people do "soak" eels something to do with either hooking it in the tail or clipping the tail or something like that. But I do know that a live eel hooked in the face will make a big mess out of your line if you are not actively fishing it.

Thanks

I am just so used to eels in Cape Charles this time of year I figured it could not hurt trying them out in the surfconfused.gif

Quote:

Fresh Bunker is the ticket if you can find it

is it tough?

I have to travel across the bay bridge so I hope Anglers will have fresh bait.   Bucks heading on to the island??? or anywhere in OC???

I doubt anglers will have any fress...but they usually have frozen though. Next place is Kool Ice in cambridge, then bucks. Id call ahead to see whats in....good luck

Definetly call ahead on bait. Kool Ice in Cambridge is probably your most reliable source for bait right now. Kool Ice may not have the best quality but they should have bunker. Most shops in OC won't have fresh during the week but try to get some for weekends. Try All Tackle on 50 in West OC then call Lang at Bucks to see if they have it.

Give Bill's Sport Shop or Old Inlet a call in Del.

If you got a kitchen pass this time of year & are going to put forth the effort.... going out of your way for fresh bait is a no brainer.

Good Luck

Bucks changed there number recently.. New number is 4435134661. I couldnt find the number anywhere so I went down there. Unfortunately they were out of fresh that day but at least now I can call them first.

Well...  conditions where not 2 bad... 6 & * oz spiders where a must.

Ended up with 4 spinneys and a clear nose... frown.gif

Good time on the sand thou, playing with different rods and reels.... little Avets, Penn's  the new battle...rods, Break away, O.M's and the mojo.

PC170100.JPG

The only way to cook some noodles LOL

PC170103.JPG

Just got back from fishing the Virginia end of A.I. at Chincoteague.

Got on the beach Friday night at dark just before the rain, tangled w/ some light biters...not sure if they were crabs or little bluefish...one of my frozen finger mullet came back w/ a semi-circular bite out of it. Found out later that night someone landed an 18" speck off the beach so who knows.

Got back on the beach next morning around 10 am after the rains & clouds moved out..and it was biting cold w/ that N-NW wind.

Fished the start of the incoming & landed a 15-16 inch shorty striper on a frozen finger mullet ( no fresh bait anywhere ).

My buddy Tom landed another shorty a few minutes later  ...we thought we might be getting into something....turned out that was the high point of the day...not a single bite the rest of Saturday.

Sunday was no better.

Think I may hang it up for the season..just getting too cold now and too little activity to justify the trip.