Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shipwreck

Wetsuit!

13 posts in this topic

Who regularly uses them to kayak fish with? Do they keep you warm when you are out of the water? Do you layer over the top of them? I am working something out and I would love to hear from some of you guys. Thanks. :)

I surf in them. They keep you warm out of the water. But once they are wet, and the wind blows on them, you will start to feel this icy chill coming through. I'm sure a wind layer over them would solve that problem. Paddling and pedaling will warm you back up too.

You are going to get far less wet in a kayaking than you would surfing, I used to wear mine when I got my first kayak, but neoprene quickly becomes a pain in the butt, especially if you want to use it the next morning and it is still wet. In the Winter, you are looking at a minimum of a 4mm, but more likely a 6mm. They are difficult to get in and out of. By the same token though, you could swim back in from the bouy and not be in danger of freezing.

Just some thoughts.

I've been wearing my winter suit (5m mutant) and booties this fall. On the cold cold mornings I would wear a sweat shirt over the suit with a gore-tex wading jacket over that. I learned quickly that if the sweatshirt got wet i was cold, the wading jacket solved that problem. It did become a pain when launching on consecutive mornings if it was wet. The night before I would hang it next to a dehumidifier and leave a few box fans blowing on it. At best it was still a little damp and thats not the best feeling on your skin at 530 in the am when the temp is in the high 20's low 30's. What I think has gone my way was that even in the mornings when it was chilly the late morning and afternoons have been in the upper 40's to lower 60's, i was actually too warm at times. Peddling around the hobie helped keep the blood moving. Things that suck. Going to the bathroom, I'm not in the water so i'm not peeing in it. Peeling that thing off to go over the side is time consuming especially when you've been holding it and you really have to go. Putting on a damp suit in the am. Sometimes too hot, no way to really peel any layers off. Being wet. Pain in the butt, guys in the drysuits seemed to be comfy cozy with ease - i was jealous. With that said i just ordered a Kokatat and hope to have it in soon to test out.

I'm a big fan of the shorty wetsuit for those times when the air is warm and the water is cool, like September or June. You won't die in it like you will in a drysuit or full wetsuit, yet it keeps you warm enough if you end up in the water. The guys posting above are surfers and know more about the full wetsuits then I ever will.

I wear a farmer john w/separate top & NRS Chota boots... I like being able to strip the top off when it gets too warm. I sometomes throw a pair of nylon pants over topto block the breeze.

I've been testing the limits of a wetsuit up here in VT for pike fishing. We had some teen air temps in the morning and water temps have dipped into the upper 30's, with a combined number of 55. I wore a 5 4 3 and was uncomfortable until the sun came through the trees. The next trip I wore layers and neoprene waders and semi dry top and belt. Just feels better when it's cold and I'm wearing a dry system. Perhaps a heavier wet suit like a 6 or 7mm would fair better but I think it was risk overheating and for some that can be just as uncomfortable fishing as being cold.

The 5 4 3 and 8mm boots seems to perform best for me with a combined air and water temp at 75-95. Over 95 I can wear a 3.0 Farmer John and 7mm boots and dry top with layers as needed.

Everyone has their own comfort level.

Good stuff thanks. So is it safe to say you can rarely just put on a full wetsuit and hit the water? There should be layers and other ways to keep water off it. Interesting. Of all the uses for one, IF other dry wear options are available to the yakker, it seems that the way Ross uses it 'fits' the best. In other words its just the wet suit that he is using for protection. hmmm

For what its worth, I sometime use a Bronco neoprene surf jacket that I bought here from TimS. I have 2 of them, a pullover and a zipper front. They work very well for keeping me warm and I can vent the wrists and neck by opening the zippers. They shed water okay, but I must say that I never got fully submerged in either of them.

So is it safe to say you can rarely just put on a full wetsuit and hit the water?

I think it depends when the angler is heading out. 40 degree water and 20 degree air temps? I barely put up with that in a dry system never mind a wet suit. For me a wet suit does not perform well when the combined air and water temp is below 75. With a 5 4 3 I'm better layering up with mysterioso underneath until I hit 80-90 combined temps. Then there are other factors, sun, wind.

When it's 40/45 out or greater a 5 4 3 is nice and move on a to the farmer john as it approaches 50/50 and greater. I get a ton of use out of that in Massachusetts without wearing extra anything other then a Mysterioso shirt underneath the farmer john on some trips and then lose the dry top. May-October for fresh arrivals up here is a long season. We have it made.

wet suit 2.jpg

Above is a Pinnacle Elastiprene 7mm winter suit it has merino wool in for extra warmth.

I use it early & late in the season (March & December) . This is also for skishing.

I have old 5x4x3 winter surfing suit with a hood but they are more bulky than the new stretchy wetsuits.

so i hardly use it unless i really have to.

I spend a lot of time in a pinnacle elastiprene 3mm suit.

It also has merino wool in it.

instead of going to a 5mm i will wear under armor cold gear & a 1mm rash guard in late october till mid November.

The Pinnacle suits have kevlar knees which is great for wetsuiting big rocks.

i also have shorty suits from Body Glove that are 3 mm.

To cut the wind i use a Gill Pro racer top & it keeps my core dry.

Leisure pro sold me my 7mm suit for $189! they have a shop in NYC at 43 w 18th St.

Try on any wetsuit before you buy it.

I use OTB Odhin 8" boots, they can adjust to fit different neoprene socks from 2 to 5 mm.

They are also specifically designed to fit the Force fins you see above.

Henderson Hyperstretch is also a quality suit.

Hope this helps.