Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Birdsnest

Teaser Question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance, because I know there is much information, but I seem to find differences on whether the free movement of the teaser is critical.

An article by Tim S indicates his preference of loop knot which allows the most, but I see most B & T's sell the rigs with the dropper loop and the teaser loop doubled through the eye. This seems like would be very stiff, and perhaps even ride at the will of the direction of the line, canted, or upside down.

It might not matter when they are on the feed, just trying to get some opinions on whether the method of attachment pushes up the hit rate

I use them all with much success with each. I also carry a variety of pre made extra's with me in the event 1 breaks off while out fishing.

Dropper loop is OK but I like to change my teasers based on time of day, water clarity, etc and I find this one is more work as the weather gets colder. Also, depending on the size of the teaser, it sometimes is a pain to get the teaser swapped out quickly.

Most bait shops sell theirs with a duo lock on the teaser and leader. Very good as it's easy to swap out the teaser rather quickly. I use this on occasion, but find that when fishing in cold temperatures, it's sometimes difficult to open the smaller duolock snap.

This season I've switched to the fast clip for the teaser and the lure. This is by far the quickest way to swap out the teaser.

Last but not least, on occasion I also use 2 pieces of mono independently tied to the swivel connecting the mono to the braid. I tend to use 40 lb mono as the main leader (approximately 24-30" in length) and use a shorter piece of 60 - 80 lb mono for the teaser in 3 - 4" length.

Just my thoughts based on what I use. You may want to try a few or all of these and see which you like best.

Good luck.

Small stiff dropper off the leader 8" down..

Each Teaser has an 8" line, both ends looped.

Have switched to crimps over knots.

Like fly fishing, loop to loop the teaser to the dropper.

60# line for the teaser keeps it out and about, stiffness of 60# keeps it away from the leader, loop in eye of teaser lets it swim a bit.

Easy change up whenever you want.

Has worked well for me over the last few years and have gotten comfy with it.

Also a small dropper lets you go teaserless with no real drag.

Just my 2 cents and what works for me.

I suppose a fast clip might come in handy for speed, may integrate it. Sounds good in thought ... wonder if it'll wrap more or give the braid something to grab.

60# line for the teaser keeps it out and about, stiffness of 60# keeps it away from the leader, loop in eye of teaser lets it swim a bit.

Exactly what I do and this has worked well for years.

No problem with fish on either the main or teaser line. Did find this year with some larger double headers that the teaser line would break..........but that is to be expected to some extent when 2 teen fish decide to go in opposite directions. Drag doesn't help there.

Did land many double headers this fall (always fun when on a sand bar and getting pounded by the surf ;) ), but did have a few failures as well.

Still my go to method.

My .02

dropper loop for me offers much less fouling with the leader and main line. 60 or 80 lb test helps with this somewhat.

My teasers go on the dropper loop about 4" long. I tie my teasers on Eagle Claw hooks #254 in about size 3/0. They have a very large eye opening for their size. My leaders ties on 40 lb mono or flouro easily allow me to change or remove the teaser if I like. Good Luck to you!

Pretty much what I do, but I tie the teaser into a perfection loop and tie the same loop 6" up from that.

Loop to loop on the dropper or a perfection loop on the tag end of the swivel knot.

Swivel gets a San Francisco jam knot which has a tag that goes perpendicular to the main line.

Just my 2 cents and what works for me.

I suppose a fast clip might come in handy for speed, may integrate it. Sounds good in thought ... wonder if it'll wrap more or give the braid something to grab.

Pretty much the same here but double surgeons loop to attach the teaser and also make a loop at the other end. Teasers are pre-tied at 10" or 12". I see the reason for crimping as knots with 60# line are awkward. I do 40# max. That's also my Fluke rig with baitholder hook with Gulp instead of the teaser. Bucktail/Gulp on the bottom but the teaser catches the most. Dropper loop off the mainline helps the teaser stand off and away. I might look into crimping, good idea.

At this time of night my mind (or what's left of it) goes into silly mode and after reading all the posts I came up with the question, "Has anyone ever tried tying two teasers, probably using dropper loops, on the same rig?" Makes for the possibility of a triple header and, I assume, one hell of a fish story! There's got to be some Section 8 out there who has thought the same thing or even tried it. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Baiter View Post

Pretty much the same here but double surgeons loop to attach the teaser and also make a loop at the other end. Teasers are pre-tied at 10" or 12". I see the reason for crimping as knots with 60# line are awkward. I do 40# max. That's also my Fluke rig with baitholder hook with Gulp instead of the teaser. Bucktail/Gulp on the bottom but the teaser catches the most. Dropper loop off the mainline helps the teaser stand off and away. I might look into crimping, good idea.

I've been using double barrel crimps from a company called leadertech, based in the UK.

Crimps as small as .07 can handle 40# mono.

I bump to .08 for 60#.

Have not had one fail yet .. especially if you torch and mushroom one end.

At this time of night my mind (or what's left of it) goes into silly mode and after reading all the posts I came up with the question, "Has anyone ever tried tying two teasers, probably using dropper loops, on the same rig?" Makes for the possibility of a triple header and, I assume, one hell of a fish story! There's got to be some Section 8 out there who has thought the same thing or even tried it. :D

You're not the first to ask that question and I forget what the answer(s) were. Perhaps one of those Flounder spreader rigs would stop any teaser tangling. :)