Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandguy

Margate Action and a little advice for next season

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just got a place in Margate and will be fishing from the beach next summer. I'm an LBI guy so my Fall will be spent up North.

I am not asking for locations but would love to have some advice. I have a few questions and feel free to send me a private message.

Is there an outer bar in Margate?

Are there any jetty's in Margate?

I have my eye on the Longport Jetty?

Does the surf drop off anywhere into deeper water or is it just a slow long grade to the deep water?

It looks like the bay side of Margate holds fish, how about the inlet?

Thank You

Sandguy

Welcome to the neighborhood.

There are a couple of us that beat the beaches pretty regular here and we would be happy to drag you along when you get to town... shoot me an email when you are around.

I live here in Margate but I don't bother fishing the beach since there is no structure to be found, your not allowed to fish the beach in the summer(during bathing hours) so I fish the Longport beach instead. The Longport jetty is good in the spring and summer - I haven't caught anything this fall there though and I usually fish 4 days a week. It's not the best area for fishing(it's known as the dead zone - Absecon island) fish don't usually run along the beach they tend to stay further off shore since you have to go a mile off the beach to finally hit deep water.

Check out Capt. Andy's and Scotts B&T in margate for some tips as well - they're quite helpful.

sandguy

Tried to reply to your private message but for some reason the site would not send it to you...

I would honestly focus on further north in the spring until the bunker work their way down to us.... if you are really serious about the surf and have a 4x4, a season pass to Island beach State park is a good idea... it is about a 50 minute drive but worth the ride.

Or, like eelball says (and he DOES know what he is talking about) learn the backwater.....

There is structure in Margate on the beach, you just have to find it and fish it hard.

I have a kayak and it has come in handy working the back, hard to reach spots where bigger boats can't get to and also out front since you need to get almost a mile off the beach to find deeper water.

Kayaks in the back are awesome, and will increase your productivity a ton. Once you get in the area, and get settled down, drop me a line. I'm just over the bridge from Margate, and consider the area my home waters. I can show you a thing or three .;)

Egg Harbor River in April. Some plug bass in the bay in throughout (schoolies)

Fluke in the bays, plenty of access points to fish from land.

Surf fishing, drive back to LBI, it's better there overall, but if you stay there are some decent jetties and Longport has some nice spots nearby. Good luck parking there though.

Good luck.

I have fuished margate/Longport/Ventnor for 30 years.

The last 10 from a boat only.

If you want to go out with me some time,give me a shout..

I start fishing in the Spring and usualkly quit around December 1