Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

$29 light bulb/22.5 year life?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

When did these come out? $25-$45, depending on the wattage. Average life, 22.5 years?:shock: Essentially a lifetime bulb.

I could use something like this in one part of my home. Anyone have any intel?

Been out for a while now maybe up to a year or more. I forget the exact timing, could be this year, but you will no longer be able to buy a normal 100 watt bulb as the gov't has required manufactures to stop production. Basically whats left on the shelves is the stores only supply.

Been out for a while now maybe up to a year or more. I forget the exact timing, could be this year, but you will no longer be able to buy a normal 100 watt bulb as the gov't has required manufactures to stop production. Basically whats left on the shelves is the stores only supply.

Uh Ohhhhh.. Mods PLEASE delete this last post. Steve has GOT to get them drawers stained or its hell to pay :shock: :shock:

January 1st...........

A month later they are coming out with thermostats that you will be required to install that are permanently set at 63 degrees in winter and 82 degrees in summer, just so we can all be green, ya know............WE KNOW ALL AND IT IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! :dismay:

Uh Ohhhhh.. Mods PLEASE delete this last post. Steve has GOT to get them drawers stained or its hell to pay :shock: :shock:

Pay attention, will ya.....cabinet DOORS..........;)

Bob....the bulbs you speak of are indeed LEDs......a bit pricey, but if you are going to use it in one of those spots that the bulb is a pain in the arse to change, it may well be worth it.

Haven't you heard the commercial on the Patriot's Pre-game on the radio?...."Honey! The Light Bulb!" "You know the one she is talking about, the one that takes three ladders and the chance of getting altitude sickness to change?" "HONEY - THE LIGHT!"

;)

steve... how about a link or three to this proposed thermostat control thing.

no way the people voted that in.

i'll be damned if my house is going to be 82 degrees in the summer. it'll be 72... where it all year round.

they can't go doing that ****... some people get sick if it gets that cold or that hot.

links please. since you are so good at c&p this should be an easy request.

I have seen the LED bulbs for about $12. We have an outdoor porch light fixture that is about 12-15 feet high. When the 2 bulbs go out, I am willing to kick in $12 each for new ones. They will probably cost even less when the bulbs burn out.

Ah, Tam, I was being facetious..........;)

But truthfully, don't be surprised if it is in our near future......

But the 100 watt light bulb thing is true, and then next January 1st, the 75 watt bulbs go, and then a year later, the 60's..........

After 22.5 years the bulb will be stuck, frozen in the socket. Then you'll have to buy a new socket and bulb.

Savings lost.:thdwn:

You're correct. :th:

I was a property manager for years for a Boston based equity group. The architect designed a new building we built, which called for hundreds of incandecent light fixtures. All using basic light bulbs. He thought these would creat a certain 'ambiance'. :rolleyes: Being in a comm building, about 3/4 of the lights were on 18 hours per day, the rest 24 hours as night lights.

It became a part time job just replacing lights daily/weekly. :rolleyes: I found these 'long life' bulbs made by Luxor. Bulb life, 3 years. Had the maintainece crew replace them all. Bulbs almost never burned out after that. Only problem, the screw in portion of the bulb would melt into the socket rendering it unusable. Junk. Had to replace the fixtures.

So much for the savings on the light bulbs.