Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

ABU 6500 CS Mag - and braid

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

What size braided line would you use when fishing lures (2-4 oz) in the surf with this reel -20lb? 30lb? The reel will be matched up to a custom (by me) Breakaway Omega 10'6" conventional rod. I use 30 lb Stealth on my jetty spinning rods...

Thanks

Sandcrab

I use 6500 chrome rocket with 20lb fireline, 6500 cs mag with 30lb sufix performance braid. No problems.  But I'm on top of it all the time. You have to stop the lure before it hits water or you get overrun and its all over.   Spinner is much easier.

I've tried 65# braid(same diameter as 17# mono) on that reel fishing, and fieldcasting. For me it was tempermental, and had me on the defensive and holding back. The extra yards braid will get you are worthwhile on a spinner, but didnt work for me on the Abu. A small diameter mono like Black Widow gets me extra distance, and predictability. On my inshore/kayak abu reels 50 and 65# braid work perfect. Fireline works well, but costs like braid.

Cheech,

Thanks. What type of knot would you use for mono-to-shocker connectionfor the 6500 CS Mag reel? I will need to add a shocker for the larger lure weights.

Thanks

Sandcrab

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandcrab View Post

Cheech,

Thanks. What type of knot would you use for mono-to-shocker connectionfor the 6500 CS Mag reel? I will need to add a shocker for the larger lure weights.

Thanks

Sandcrab

Bloodknot,Albright, Reverse Albright. What ever size shocker you use keep knot small enought to go through level line without interference

I used the Albright and Alberto(modified Albright) for many years. I had no problems with the knot passing through the lw and guides. After one cold, windy, wet, dark night in Montauk I quit the traditional long shocker for fishing, but still use it for field practice. Now I use a small barrel swivel, a couple feet of 40-60lb., and a angler clip for plug attachment.

50lb Sufix 832.

I use a small piece of hollow core for the shock splice. Double the 50 lb braid back on it self for 3 feet the insert it with a 100lb daho needle 3 foot in a 6 foot section of 100lb hollow then insert your shock leader in the hollow and serve both ends.

Its the smallest strongest connection there is IMO.

I like 50# braid on my 6500 size reels. Anything thinner I don't like, because if ya get snagged, it digs into itself and makes the next cast a hassle. 

30# Fireline isn't to bad either. I've used it, and liked it as well.

I use 30lb braid on my 6500 and haven't had any bad issues with the line digging in but only because i removed the level wind and i spool the line back on with my thumb back and forth across the spool as fast as I can so it crosses over itself and can't become buried very easily. I have had occasional issues with the line snapping very easily after a backlash because braid weakens so much at the point where the birdsnest snags itself. For this reason I avoid using this setup at night

Cheech,

Thanks

Sandcrab

I use the over hand in the thick and the uni in the thin. I've been using this knot since day one

that I started tieing shock leaders and it has caught me countless fish. It ties easy in all conditions.

May it be night, rain or cold weather. It's done in seconds, put A little saliva on it and you're all

set to go. It's the lowest profile and when tied correct the breaking strength is excellent.

There's been times where I've been hung up and had to pull back to break off and at the

end hear the line make A massive POW !!!! That right there shows that the line snapped and not

the knot. It's also A knot that the best casters use when it comes to fishing and we can call

it the sister knot of the blob, which is used in the field. That shock leader besides taking the

brunt of the cast it'll also assist with landing the fish ounce it's on the spool.

As for braid and conventionals in my opinion it's making room for more errors. The drag isn't

strong enough to hold the 40# braid and when you blow up the reel ounce it locks it isn't

going to do that reel any good. There's A good chance that you can hurt it.

Good luck and I hope this helps. :)

I like 50# braid on my 6500 size reels. Anything thinner I don't like, because if ya get snagged, it digs into itself and makes the next cast a hassle. 

30# Fireline isn't to bad either. I've used it, and liked it as well.

i'm with jimmyz on this one........all my 6500's have 50# braid & even my calcutta 400's. it works the best for me on that size reel cuz anything smaller just digs in to fast & makes problems for you on the next cast like jimmy z said. thankz, ray