Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kierran

Lake Ontario Tribs Video

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Some good friends and I spent the good part of a week in early November plying tributaries of Lake Ontario in western NY. Luckily, conditions and timing were right for great fishing. We took over 500 photos and nearly 4 hours of video footage, so there were a few long nights of editing for this finished product. I suggest watching it in 720p (HD) and switching to full screen mode. Lastly, turn up the volume. Enjoy!

Sick video man. Talk about quality fish. I'm glad you took the time to put it together and post it up. Just one of those pigs would make the trip. Good friends, good beer and good fish....nuf said.

Thanks, all.

What is the music around the 2:00 mark...sounds like cello, mandolin, violin. I like it a helluva lot, who is the artist?

Pretty work...

It's off Yoyo Ma's latest project "Goat Rodeo Sessions".

Kierrin,

Great job on the vid. Nice stuff. Heading back up after the new year. Got to get you on the boat this Spring I promise. Worm Hatch.

Happy Holidays to you and your familiy.

Dporreca

Thanks, Dave. Looking forward to getting in on the worm hatch with you - never really done that before.

Outstanding!

Since I am relatively unfamiliar with the Great Lakes fisheries can you answer several questions.

There was a picture of fish fillets ready for cooking. Are either the lake-run Browns or Steelhead kept for eating purposes?

To what degree are the Browns or Steelhead naturally spawning? I was under the impression that, for salmon at least, all the reproduction was hatchery.

There appeared to be one picture of an Atlantic?? There was, historically, a run of sea-run Atlantics into Lake Ontario. Was that a natural fish? Sea-run vers Lake run?

Thanks,

Peter Patricelli

Peter, I believe the Steelhead and brown trout are self sustaining in Lake Ontario. Tthere is natural production by Coho and King Salmon in many of the Lake Ontario tributaries, right down to small creeks. The NY State Fish Hatchery at Altmar, NY operates a major suplemental production effort by egg and milt striping ripe salmon during the spawing event.

You should get a more inforamative answer by googling the NY State Fish Hatchery at Altmar, NY. Bob

Peter, I picked this off the NYS/DEC line and thought you'd like the information.

Salmon River Fish Hatchery

The Salmon River - Each year the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) releases over one million pounds of fish into more than 1200 public streams, rivers, lakes and ponds across the state. These fish are stocked for two main purposes -- to restore native species to waters they formerly occupied and to enhance recreational fishing.

Built in 1980, the Salmon River Fish Hatchery specializes in raising steelhead, chinook salmon, coho salmon, brown trout and landlocked salmon. Originally constructed to revive and enhance the fishery of the Great Lakes, this facility provides most of the fish for the now multi-million dollar Lake Ontario salmonid fishery. Each year this hatchery produces more than 2,000,000 fingerlings (young fish 3-5 inches long) and close to 1,000,000 yearlings (fish one year old or over).

Located in Altmar, NY, the Salmon River Fish Hatchery supplies fish for more than 100 public waters including Lake Ontario. Each year, the hatchery stocks 3.5 million trout and salmon, and nine million walleye fry. Serving an eleven-county area, hatchery personnel travel many miles delivering fish to their designated stocking sites. The fish are transported on trucks that are specially equipped with tanks of oxygenated water. Small fish are loaded onto the stocking trucks by hand via the use of scap nets, while larger fish are usually loaded by means of a device called a fish pump.

The opportunities are almost unlimited. I have a life time NY hunting and fishing license and after watching Kiernan's video, I'm gearing myself to revisit the streams of eastern Lake Onterio in 2012.

Cape Cod in the Spring ,Eastern Lake Ontario in the fall and the Jersey Shore in the early winter.

ForgetaboutMontalk! It is easier to get to the Salmon River in October than Montalk in October.

A life Changing event! Merrry Christmas

In my previous life.........I spent weeks each summer on the CA side of Lake Ontario. Those were the days when the alewife bloom and periodic die-offs were so bad that the shale-rock shoreline was a solid stripe, 2 feet thick, of dead and rotting alewives. There were NO salmon, steelhead, or Browns. Now look at it. Occasionally we humans do something right. Maybe something about an infinite number of monkeys pecking at the keys of an infinite number of typewriters (update that to word processors).............

Any comments on edibility?

Peter Patricelli

Lk Ontario trout tastes excelent Coho isn't as red as the west coast and Alaskan Salmon. They have a sharper taste. Probably due to the salt environment. I know the red is diet driven. Lk. Ontario salmon smoke well. I haven't tasted King salmon from Lake Ontario, so someone else will have to comment on that..

When I was in Portland, OR, 20 or more years ago on business, the salmon I had was freshly caught and shippd from the Copper River?? Cooper River? in Alaska and it was scrumptious.:drool:

There was a picture of fish fillets ready for cooking. Are either the lake-run Browns or Steelhead kept for eating purposes?

Thanks watching, Peter. Those fillets were actually blackfish speared from Block Island Sound! They were so fantastic and a little slice of home with us in western NY.

We released every fish hooked on the trip. The rare times I do eat trout, they are much smaller than those. Thanks again.

I have a life time NY hunting and fishing license and after watching Kiernan's video, I'm gearing myself to revisit the streams of eastern Lake Ontario in 2012.

Thanks for the high marks, RJ. I'm glad some folks are enjoying it as much as we are.