My first carved plug

Rate this topic

Mikey149

You cant go wrong at first….and lots of good ideas were given.

If your plug swims, it will catch. if your plug does not swim it will probably work as a jerk bait.

You said your first one swam better without the tail? I would thin that hair down. I may even look to use a single hook. Both should allow for more. But with the way the belly is designed you may need that drag to keep from rolling out to much (I don’t even know if that will make a difference or not).

The lack of belly hook may not matter, but it is often used as a keel. You say you added weight and to me .4oz is a ton of weight to add. If you do another one like this try to keep everything the same and add just a belly hook at first, and then play with lighter weight. The belly hook will not only provide ballast weight, but it can also help with drag. I typically make a hand full of the same profile plug and play with the hook and weight placement or make one and bring the drill and tape to the pond with me to change weighting around as needed.

The type of wood you used is another factor?

Have fun.

Andy...I call them translucent but createx calls them TRANSPARENT. I don't know who's right on this one.:confused:

Translucent:

1. Transmitting light but causing sufficient diffusion to prevent perception of distinct images.

2. Clear; lucid.

Transparent:

1. (of a material or article) Allowing light to pass through so that objects behind can be distinctly seen.

2. Easy to perceive or detect.

Thanks f2w,

Good input...I will try your ideas on the next one. Belly weight is a bit heavy for this lure I agree, but I wanted the extra weight to help with casting distance on the beach. Maybe for such a small lure I should use it on the backside and make a bigger one for long distance casting. For my beach rig I use at least 2.5-4.0 oz. with 50 lb. braid. Under 2 oz. goes a little bit short in my area, unless it's a tin with no wind resistance. Anyway, having fun doing this work.