Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mikey149

My first carved plug

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I thought I'd try carving this after seeing another similar post here. i hesitated including a belly hook because the plug is so small (about 3-1/2 inches long.). I can always add it on if the concensus is that I should.. Please feel free to comment or criticise...I need guidance. :)

I275

Looks nice! What kind of paint do you guys use that you can cover a dark color with a light color? I am using craft store acrylic and I am not sure I can do that.

Have you test swam it yet? It looks nice but I am curious on not adding a belly hook and also if the amount of hair on the tail would cut down on the wiggle of the plug.

It looks nice, I'm just curious.

Thanks guys for your valued input.

Andy,

The first color was silver metallic over the base white sanding primer. Then I colored the belly with an off white opaque acrylic. Then the top and sides with forest green translucent, followed by translucent yellow. Then I scaled it with opaque bright yellow. The last color was black on the back and eye areas. It got a little hectic around the lips. When it dried fully I added the eyes and gave it a coat of clear Painters Touch (from Homey Dopey). When it dried I applied the epoxy...rod builders stuff that doesn't yellow but takes 24 hours to cure fully. All of the paints I used except for the metallic silver, primer and clearcoat are Createx Acrylics.

WInch and Striperknight,

After I got the plug shaped, weighted and wired (without the paint and the tailhook), I tested it in the tub. The original lip I made was too small and the angle too shallow and it didn't give the thing much wiggle unless it was retrieved fast...too fast. So I fabricated a bigger one, longer and a bit wider to be exact, and that seemed much better. Even though the new lip added a bit more weight, it still had bouancy and balanced with eyes up as it should. The bucktail is just a test...I wanted it to look as much a part of the plug as possible. If it does hinder the action I can always modify it. I haven't had a chance to test it with the tailhook yet but will tomorrow weather permitting at my favorite shoreline testing ground. The big test is wether it'll catch fish! I'll let you all know how the swim test goes. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll hookup.:)

Thanks again.

Andy,

The first color was silver metallic over the base white sanding primer. Then I colored the belly with an off white opaque acrylic. Then the top and sides with forest green translucent, followed by translucent yellow. Then I scaled it with opaque bright yellow. The last color was black on the back and eye areas. It got a little hectic around the lips. When it dried fully I added the eyes and gave it a coat of clear Painters Touch (from Homey Dopey). When it dried I applied the epoxy...rod builders stuff that doesn't yellow but takes 24 hours to cure fully. All of the paints I used except for the metallic silver, primer and clearcoat are Createx Acrylics.

WInch and Striperknight,

After I got the plug shaped, weighted and wired (without the paint and the tailhook), I tested it in the tub. The original lip I made was too small and the angle too shallow and it didn't give the thing much wiggle unless it was retrieved fast...too fast. So I fabricated a bigger one, longer and a bit wider to be exact, and that seemed much better. Even though the new lip added a bit more weight, it still had bouancy and balanced with eyes up as it should. The bucktail is just a test...I wanted it to look as much a part of the plug as possible. If it does hinder the action I can always modify it. I haven't had a chance to test it with the tailhook yet but will tomorrow weather permitting at my favorite shoreline testing ground. The big test is wether it'll catch fish! I'll let you all know how the swim test goes. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll hookup.:)

Thanks again.

Great Mike,

Your going about it with the right mental thought.

Tail hooks or things like buck hair will definitely hamper your wiggle I know on a lot of the fancy Fish like tail plugs they use a thin fan like pattern to lesson any hindrance. I'm also curious if you used any ballast to take up the loss of a keel like belly hook.

Winch and Striperknight, The plug has a .4oz. belly weight I got from Salty's. It's a half inch diameter with a pre-drilled hole for the wire. Weatherwise it's not so great here on L.I. so I decided to check the swim in the tub, this time with the tail as shown. Not good. Wiggle is noticibly diminished. I designed this plug to be a subsurface swimmer and that it is. However I would have liked to have it more bouyant than it is. I think the new lip may be a bit too heavy being made of .063 SS. So I guess the next step will be to lighten up on the bucktail, as you both recommend, and replace the lip with something lighter...maybe even plastic. The nice thing about the action now is that even with the slight side to side wiggle it looks very good on vertical motion, where he plug rights itself no matter how it's jerked and it has a natural looking head drop when tension on the line is eased.

Thanks again to both of you for your honest and worthy recommendations.

Mike every time you test a plug proto and see where it succeeds or fails you learn something. My suggestion is on your next attempt on a plug stay within normal standards of how a plug looks like. (that would include belly hook and nakid tail hook. ) Then once you get that working the way you want start trying fancier hybrids that your trying to make. Each step in building a plugs inner workings will teach you something about the mechanics of plug building. Don't worry too much about final looks and paints as much on your first plugs. Work instead on what goes under the hood. Your plug is in a smaller design and even the type of wire may cause it to not swim well.

Thanks, Winch. I find experimenting with different designs rewarding. After only a few weeks into this hobby, I'm anxious to see how this particular one pans out. Having fun doing this work and looking to master the art eventually. I posted some of the plugs that I made in another thread last week. These were more or less preshaped bodies I got from Salty's with only minor reconfiguring of the tail section. All of them were tested in the salt so I know they cast and swim great. I'd be interested in your comments.

Andy,

Thanks! I'm going to check out the translucents. I've just finished the paint on my second Salty's plug. I have sanded my paint jobs off both plugs at least once because I wasn't happy. I'm learning a lot too so I appreciate the help. Andy

The belly hook acts as a ballast, which will help you regulate any side to side roll.

Also, don't be afraid to use a lighter gauged lip in the future. Bucktail in general dilute swimming action.

I think you're on to something great though! :D

The metal lips, are you buying, or cutting and bending these?

I have hand break and was considering bending some of my own from sheet stainless. I wanted to see if you or others are doing this as I have not seen them ate Jann's or Lurecraft