Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

Back surgery, what kind of mattress or bed ?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I've gone through so many mattresses I don't know what to do anymore.

Form, medium firm, Japanese box spring with mattress, memory foam.

Only one I haven't tried is the numbers and hospital type beds.

If I don't get a decent nights sleep I'm going to try the floor next.

Can anyone help ?

TY

I haven't had back surgery but I do have a very bad back. For years I slept on a waveless waterbed that was comfortable for ~ 10 years, then it wasn't so good. I then slept on some firm mattress temporareily until construction was done in my room, It was better than the waterbed. About 6 weeks ago I started sleeping on a Bob's Bob-O-Pedic Power Bed, the kind that has power adjustments. So far it has been great.

It does have it's draw backs. When I sleep with it perfectly flat I wake up with no back problems, if I fall asleep while watching TV with my head up I wake up with back issues. The other thing I don't like is it's very high. I might have been better off getting the "cheaper" Power Bob's that sit' about 4" lower.

Over all, I am very happy with. Also, the Bob-O-Pedic Power bed comes on wheels, bed frames are just cosmetic, they don't contribute any support. If money is an issue, a bed frame isn't needed

I feel your pain brotha, back pain SUCKS!!> I had my second surgery back in March of 2010 and I am no better but worse than i was . As far as beds go your best bet is to go to Sleepies and hide . When they are closed for the night go around the store and try em all :D. My bed is medium light pillow top. To this day iv'e slept on the floor the couch the back seat of my truck>>>they all suck....Good luck man...

I am also a back pain sufferer. I had the surgery in 2005(L5-S1) Laminectomy/Discectomy. Helped out a lot and about a year ago started feeling the pain again. I went through 3 mattreses in 5 years and just discovered the best one of them all. I researched the foam mattresses from tempurpedic, Bob's and some other brands believe it or not I settled on a brand that Walmart carries, it's a 10" foam mattress(foam made in the US when you research you'll find out why this makes a difference) I've slept on it for 5 months now and have to say its the best mattress I ever owned, it was $220.00 on sale. It feels no different than the tempurpedic I tested. The brand is Spa Sensations. I was tired of spending $1000.00 to $1,500.00 on a mattress and am very surprised, happy and content on this one. Give it a try, you'll be surprised. Memory foam mattresses are built in 3 layers top, middle bottom. The tempurpedic middle of the road model has a top layer that is 8/10's of an inch thicker than the model I have for $1,300.00 less. The other 2 layers are the same. And the foam in the Walmart model is US made in the tempurpedic its can be foreign or US made. That means the quality control differs, US made foam is germ and harmful chemical free, not so much with foreign foam filler. Yes tempurpedic has a 20 yr. Warranty and the Spa sensations has a 5 but I see this lasting at least 10 years no prob. Like I said research it you'll be surprised at what you find. I hope your back feels better, there's no worse pain....

I have a bad back too. we got a tempurpedic $$$ about 5 years ago and it's been great. me and the wife sleep much better. My oldest daughter is up for a new mattress and I think we are going to try the Bob-o-pedic this time around