Going for the distance

Rate this topic

R.R. Bridge Fisher

After reading the thread in the main forum about compairing rods, I am confused about casting distance. I jumped out of that thread and narrowed it down to a seperate question.

I am confused. I thought and read that a fast action rod was always the best for distance? What is the scoop is it a whippy rod or a fast action rod that is best for distance? It seems that a whippy rod loads better but I dont know? Can somebody help me out I am ready to get a new rod and now I am confused. I know length and casting style along with line, plug and so on but as far as rods go what are some characteristics of a great distance rod?

Thanks for the advice,

RR

troll #122  <*)))<

After reading the thread in the main forum about compairing rods, I am confused about casting distance. I jumped out of that thread and narrowed it down to a seperate question.

I am confused. I thought and read that a fast action rod was always the best for distance? What is the scoop is it a whippy rod or a fast action rod that is best for distance? It seems that a whippy rod loads better but I dont know? Can somebody help me out I am ready to get a new rod and now I am confused. I know length and casting style along with line, plug and so on but as far as rods go what are some characteristics of a great distance rod?

Thanks for the advice,

RR

I think it all depends on technique. Relating to distance: I like faster action rods for power casting. I define power casting as a Long drop anywhere from 70 to 80 % length of rod with body rotation or tip rotation of 180 degrees or more. Basically on a 12' rod I would use a 10 foot drop to my sinker/lure with the start of my cast (tip) at least at 12 o'clock and my release point being 6 o'clock. The drop being perpendicular to the tip. In the above example, I'm swinging a 22' foot arc in which my payload is accelerated for about 270 degrees. 180 (tip) + 90 (drop) in relation to the tip. That is a basic ground cast, with the weight being placed on the ground and progressively accelerated. An "aerialized" version of it, where the "lead" does not touch the ground, would be a pendulum cast. The weight is initially accelerated by a back and forth motion and then while changing planes sets on a path of final acceleration and let off. I like a rod with a softer tip and stiffer mid section.

For basic plug casting, I usually use a snap cast. A 50% rod length drop with the weight being swung back, the tip loaded and then driven forward about 90 degrees, to an abrupt stop (snap) and let off. I like more snappy (moderate) rods that have a quick tip (short recovery time). It really is a very easy cast to perform with the proper rod that will yield 80-90% of the rod's potential while using 40-50 percent of the energy.

For bait, I like fast action rods. These rods allow for the most direct energy transfer, ground casting, or basic overheads, with the least amount of disturbance to your "chunk" from all the directional changes of the more sophisticated casting styles.