Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wicked Dan

Insane striper action !!

14 posts in this topic

WOW, if you have the right dry suit and can handle some cold temps...the striper bite has been off the charts in NOMOCO. I would say that in 4 hours this morning, I landed close to 50 stripers with only a handfull while trolling. I was jigging and casting an Ava-47 with a green tail and also picked up 2 blues around 34 inches. Since Thanksgiving, I can't even guess how many bass have been landed. This morning, I would say at least half were keeper size with a few in the mid 30's (inches) landed.

Kayaking and catching in December......it doesn't get better than this!!

Danny V

Dan -  I'm new to this forum and to Florida fishing.  I'm headed to St George for the months of Jan and Feb and will be bringing my Freedom Hawk 14-ft kayak.  It's great here in Missouri for bass, crappie, catfish, etc.; but I've never tried using it in Florida.  

I'm totally clueless how to even start.  I'm thinking I would try catching some redfish on the bay side of SGI?  Don't know where the docks are, etc.  but I suspect I can find out at one of the bait shops there?

I'll ask about tackle, etc, too.

I don't have a dry suit, but I'm thinking I'll just dress warm and go for it.  Do I really need a dry suit?

If you have any general tips for me, I'd appreciate it.  I'm really experimenting on this trip, and just hope to have some fishing fun and get myself "broke in" for future trips.  My wife and I stayed at Alligator Point last year (also Jan & Feb) and made a side trip to SGI and really liked it; so, we're planning on coming to SGI every year if it works out. 

Thanks,

MoBob

Nice vid Dan.. It has been an unbelievable late season. Even in the "back" there are still good numbers of high quality fish. Not 50, but good enough to keep me coming back. I usually put the yak away around the 15th and get in to "holiday" mode. Not this year :D

Where in Mo do you live MoBob?????I live on Lake of the Ozarks. Been going down to SGI for Jan and Feb for about 7 years. Fishing there is a different adventure from what we have here in Mo. I fish for reds out of my kayak and catch a few...Trout are fun , But for eating I love to set on the beach and catch whiting.

Booter - Thanks for replying to my message. I'm getting my kayak ready to go. I've just had it for one season here in Jefferson County, near Festus.  I've used it on my small lake at home and also at lakes like Bismark, and Greyhawk.  So, I haven't a clue about using it around SGI.  I assume there might be some fishing between the mainland and the island.  

This will be our first year to actually stay on SGI.  Last year we stayed at a place in Alligator Point, up near Panacea.  

Have you used your kayak at SGI?  I'd love to catch some reds.  I'm up for whiting fishing, too.  

We are staying in one of the "birdhouses" right on the beach for all of Jan and Feb.  We actually get there on Jan 3 and will be staying until the end of Feb.

Maybe we could hook up?  Hell, I don't even know what kind of tackle to use, so this is all new to me.  Let's talk.  I'm kind of excited about this, as you can tell.  :)

Bob

Greetings...Well you are in for fun...I bring 3 or so  medium weight spinning outfits 10 to 12 lb line..nothing light like we use here for crappie..I have 2 big serf rods that i use when the waves are high and i need heaver weights, thus heaver line... but this may be overkill... Everything you need is available at the bait shop across from the post office in Eastpoint. they have everything from license to hooks and lures..great people. Little fishing story..last year in Feb a friend and I fileted 109 whiting one day and 112 the next...great fun...Seafood and bait can be had a Dougs seafood trailer...yellow trailer..in light house area on island.  If you like oysters and want to work for them....then their FREE...great oyster beds on the bayside of island..you might need a pair of rubber boots..water is cold in Jan...with a fishing license you can get 2  five gallon buckets a day....oh yes.... wife and I do a lot of kayaking in Tates hell state forest and swamp...when the waves are low we go over the St Vincents island and boat on the ocean..go a couple of miles down the beach and the shells are awesome. we have ben kyaking for about ten years and love the water around there.. the bay is great for kayaking and a good way to pick up a red ..(sometimes)..good for trout too but the season on them ends the last of jan..people in appalach are wonderful...great places to eat and they know who spends the money that feeds their family and they show their appreciation... its a wonderful town...well that should hold you for a while..any questions..just ask...10 more days...Bill

Bill -

Last year, (it was sometime in early Feb, I think) Maryann and I met a couple on St George Beach.  The man was wearing a St Louis Cardinals cap -- they had two small dogs. We stopped to say hello.  These two were from Missouri.  The man had shorts on (it was actually fairly cold outside, that's one reason I remembered him).  We had our dog with us, too:  a black/white border collie named Cookie.  WAS THAT YOU???

no it was not me. we were down on the East end next to the10th street access... My attire is mostly camo,, though the shorts could have been me. Talking to you has got me fired up. i have made three trips down to the boat dock to dig thru rods and lures. Normally i don't start till the week we leave...I'm ready to go. Anyway, two little dogs would not have been us anyway. We are the renters every landlord likes to see show up.......two shelties and a aussie sheppard.....But, we have never been turned down and always asked back, so I guess money talks...Well, keep scratching off those days...Bill